Dorm Duels encourages healthy competition

antelope issue 2 spring

ALEXANDER TETEN
tetensa@lopers.unk.edu

The first ever Dorm Duels were hosted last week on campus. Students were encouraged to play exciting games for dorm bragging rights.

The events ran from Tuesday through Thursday night. Students participated in a myriad of events: obstacle courses, dodgeball, kahoot and banner making contests. The dorm that won would receive bragging rights and a possible food party.

“It’s a really great way for everybody to get involved and participate as well as win points for their dorm.” said Macie Rolls, the winner of night three.

The purpose of the duels was to get students involved with their residence halls and promote life on campus. Last week was deliberately chosen for this event as a way to purposefully fill voids without affecting other events going on throughout the semester.

At the hyper court inside the athletic center they held the second event of the duels: dodgeball. The court was packed with over a hundred students all ready to fight for their dorm. After nearly an hour of back and forths, Antelope/Nester hall took home the win.

The winning team included Matt Brian, Todd Cerny, Austin Anderson, and Micah Dolnicek. They voiced why they enjoyed participating in the Dorm Duels after their victory.

“It let’s competitive people play a variety of games. If you don’t like dodgeball you can play Kahoot, and if you don’t like Kahoot you can play dodgeball,” Cerny said.

The Kahoot game was held the day after the dodgeball tournament in the Student Union. Nearly 100 students gathered to play Kahoot. Questions from the quiz varied from UNK’s history to residence life. Several of the students interviewed at the event had been to all of the events and planned on attending the rest. Almost all of those asked said they would participate in the Dorm Duels if they were held next year as well. 

Lauren Benck, Residence Hall Association Vice President and organizer of the events, gave her expectations on the turnout of the event. 

“It’s really hard to just start something and you don’t know how many people will respond to it,” Benck said “That was our main difficulty.”

Benck and staff were expecting a decent turnout but were met with plenty of willing and enthusiastic students.

With the results of this year’s Dorm Duels, it’s safe to expect another one next yearAs of day 4 of the games, UNK Men’s Hall is leading with 100 points in first. URS follows in second (65 points) with URN in third (60 points).