New professors shape UNK departments in new ways

Tim Jares working as the new dean of business and technology.

ALEXANDER TETEN
tetensa@lopers.unk.edu

With the start of the new semester, students are not the only newcomers to campus. Three new instructors gave their thoughts about campus and advice to new students.

UNK is welcoming many new faculty hires along with the new students. The new faculty range from long time UNK teachers to graduate school students. Since the UNK faculty has a wide variety of people, they also offer a plethora of advice for students.

One teacher in the Communications Department gives her advice to new students.

“Talk to your professors, because the professors really do care about students and they want them to succeed,” said Michelle Widger, a new professor in the Communications branch, while reflecting her new job.Widger was hired in the fall 2019 semester, and said that the change of pace between her last job and UNK is great.

“I love working with the variety, every day is different. I really enjoy that,” Widger said.

Another new professor shared his thoughts on working at the UNK.

Dr. Nathan Tye, a new assistant professor of Nebraska and American West History, is a graduate student working on campus as his first job since obtaining his Ph.D. in Illinois. Tye has always enjoyed what UNK has contributed to the community and is excited to participate now.

Being a recently graduated student, he encourages students to not be scared of their teachers and reach out if they need help.

“Come talk to us. We will be very helpful, we’re very approachable and we’re always excited to help you out.” Tye said. “And it doesn’t have to be about class.”

Professors are not the only newcomers to campus faculty. Dr. Tim Jares, the Dean of the College of Business and Technology, is also a new face on UNK grounds. 

Dr. Jares was hired in the summer of 2019 to the College of Business and Technology. Jares now faces a new challenge of managing more people than he used to. He says his department is more autonomous, making it easier for him to handle. Jares aims to improve the quality of every class students can take and boost the amount of scholarships they can apply for. 

Jares brings a new perspective to the department, something he thinks will be useful.

Jares is passionate about his department and works well with other members. He offers advice for both new and returning students. Internships are a great kickstarter to a successful job, as Jares said over 75 percent of students who take on internships received job offers and were usually paid 10 percent more than most.

Jares wants students to stand out and not blend in with the crowd.

“If you want to strike up a relationship with other students — which we want you to do —or with other faculty members and you want to learn by doing, then that’s what we’re here for” Jares said.

The new UNK faculty are brimming with encouragement or excitement. If you have any questions or even just want to talk, and they encourage you to stop by during their office hours.

[wonderplugin_slider id=30 alignment=”center”]