Women’s basketball sets school record at NCC

unk women’s basketball player dribbling the ball

JILL-SILLINA MEWS
mewsj2@lopers.unk.edu

The Lopers set a new school record for the largest margin of victory, beating Nebraska Christian College 110-22. UNK moves to 6-0, tied for the fourth-best start in Loper history.

“We had nearly everyone on the team score points and that shows how deep our team is,” said junior guard Kelsey Sanger.

“Those games are always fun to see every teammate on the floor and appreciate each other even more.”

The Lopers started applying relentless pressure on defense and played with confidence and aggressiveness on offense. In the first two quarters, UNK tallied 51 points, compared to the Sentinals nine points heading into halftime.

After the break, the Lopers put their high-scoring capabilities on display, with 37 points on 13 of 15 shooting (86.7%).

In the fourth quarter, UNK continued to push on offense and defense. The Lopers overpowered Nebraska Christian even with all the backups playing. 

UNK reached 100 points for the 24th time in program history by shooting 59% from the field and sinking the second-most threes (15) in school history. 

The 88-point margin of victory bests the 124-42 effort (82 points) achieved by the 2017-18 Lopers in a win over York College. This is tied for the fourth-fewest points allowed in school history with the 26 assists tied for the tenth most. 

UNK was led by freshman forward Madison Dreckman who had a double-double (20 points and 10 rebounds). Freshman guard Kaleigh Kummer hit five of six threes to tally 17. Junior reserve guard Aspen Jansa went four of four from behind the arc to score 14 and sophomore starter Maegan Holt  made an immediate impact providing 11 points in 13 minutes.

“Kaleigh Kummer shot it really, really well,” said Carrie Eighmey, women’s basketball head coach. “That is the thing about our team. We have depth. We have got plenty of players on this team that are good and help us every day in practice. Today was an opportunity for them to be able to get some experience especially some very young players.”