Prentice prepares for graduation, future music career

antelope issue 9

IAN KAHLER
kahlerid@lopers.unk.edu

Graduating college is a stressful time in your life. Searching for jobs, places to live, budgeting, passing your final classes and the dreaded senioritis can all add up and create difficulties for college graduates. For some, graduation becomes something to look forward to and is more of a relief of finally being at the finish line.

“I think this final semester was low stress going into graduation since I only had to take one class to finish my degree. I didn’t specifically plan it out this way, but I’m glad it turned out to be like this,” Prentice said. 

Thomas has been involved with music since he was 10 years old. He started with piano lessons that bored him at a young age, but now he looks back at those lessons as necessary building blocks to where he is today.

“Back when I did piano lessons after school, I really didn’t care that much. I would do the exercises and proper techniques, but I didn’t really take it too seriously,” Prentice said. “It wasn’t until I went to middle school and got involved and started practicing tougher pieces was when I finally realized how much I enjoy piano playing.”

Thomas was recently hired as Kearney High School’s new staff accompanist and collaborative accompanist and he said that the stress of graduation  subsided knowing he has a job right after being done at UNK. 

“This isn’t where I thought I’d be at a year or two ago. I thought I’d have to do a lot of freelance gigs and get my name out there, but things fell together perfectly and I’m so happy I found the job at Kearney High School,” Prentice said. 

Thomas also gave some advice for those who are graduating soon, especially for aspiring music graduates.

“Get to know people in your area of work and get connected immediately. It will absolutely help in the long run and it will make the process of finding a job before and after graduation so much less stressful,” Prentice said. “I have no plans in the long run other than doing some part-time piano playing and focusing my work at Kearney High School. I’m happy with where I’m at right now and I can’t wait to see where the future takes me.”