LPAC hosts trivia night to encourage involvement

Judges receive the competitor’s answers from the announcer in order to score the responses

ALANA KELLEN
kellenar@lopers.unk.edu

Organizations like LPAC offer many opportunities for students to be involved. One opportunity that was introduced last spring is the LPAC trivia night. 

This event allows students to get out of the comfort zone and be tested on a variety of topics.

Trivia night was started by Broc Stuhr, a junior supply chain management major from Grand Island. Stuhr is the co-performing arts chair for LPAC. 

“Trivia night is a chance for people to sit down, come with a team and have a diverse group of people to answer some questions,” Stuhr said. “I think it’s cool because it suits you to have a bunch of friends who are different than who you are and have different interests than you.”

For trivia nights, students are encouraged to meet in the Union with a team but aren’t required to sign up beforehand. There are seven rounds of ten questions and each team has a chance to answer each question. This trivia night’s categories were animals, Greek mythology, food, sports, superheroes, geography, and logic puzzles. The winning team of Mandy Berry, Justin Engberg, Nicole Kent and Katie Schultis was awarded $100 in Loper dollars

“It gets people out of their comfort zone, it’s on campus, it’s convenient for the people around,” Stuhr said. “It’s a good time and it’s a safe place to test what you know. As much fun as it seems to me to study for Algebra II, I think taking a quiz over superheroes sounds way better.” 

Events like trivia are at low cost but require LPAC to work hard planning and facilitating for others. Stuhr, along with fellow LPAC members, wants students to attend and continue having a good time on campus. 

“I like to make people feel included and I think that’s why a lot of people came to UNK,” Stuhr said. “I think a lot of people came to UNK because there is a chance for community and LPAC and our events is centered around everyone being welcome here.” 

There will be another trivia night closer to Christmas, followed by one in the spring. LPAC hosts other events like escape rooms, outdoor movies, the spring concert, and F.A.M.E. (the talent show). If students are interested in joining LPAC, meetings are Thursdays at 5 p.m. in the Antelope room in the Union. 

“LPAC is a good place where everyone is welcome,” Stuhr said. “It’s fellow students putting on events that you will enjoy and see the benefit of. It’s one thing to do community service for your town, but as I’ve gotten older and have come to appreciate Kearney as my home it’s really cool to pay back to UNK directly.”