Larson, Vondra elected as Freshman senators

antelope issue 7

HALEY PIERCE
pierceha@lopers.unk.edu

Tristan Larson, a Biology Comprehensive student from Doniphan, and Tatum Vondra, a Business Administration student from Milford, were elected freshmen senators for Student Government. The election, held each fall, gives first year students representation in Student Government because they cannot vote in the spring elections held the year prior. Larson and Vondra talk of their experiences and goals as a freshman senator.

Were you involved in anything in high school that made you interested in running for Student Government?

Larson: Yes, mock trial, student council, and I was our Girl’s State representative

Vondra: In high school, I held many leadership positions in a variety of clubs, so I knew that coming to Kearney I wanted to be involved. I was in Student Council all four years of high school and I served as class president my Freshman and Senior year. I found Student Government to be a great opportunity to voice my opinion and get involved here as well.

Why did you choose UNK?

Larson: I felt that UNK best set me up for a successful college career; UNK offers the best resources when I need help. Finances were also a factor.

Vondra: I fell in love the first time I stepped onto the campus my sophomore year at state speech, and I continued to love it more and more as I grew older. I love the sense of family and community and the nice size of the student body. It was big enough that I didn’t know everyone but small enough that I could choose to make a name for myself if I desired.

What is your current career goal?

Larson: OBGYN

Vondra: I would hope to one day serve as the head Marketing Manager at a company I am passionate about.

What are your goals for your term as a freshman senator?

Larson: Because I am so passionate about women’s health, I would like to see if more can be done on campus with it. 

Vondra: I would like to be a voice for the freshman, improve our campus in the ways students would like to see most, and represent our school in an unbiased manner for all decisions.

Would you like to stay involved in Student Government in the coming years and how so?

Larson: Yes. I like being in the know with things on campus and I like to brainstorm for the best possible solution to issues. I would like to be a link to my peers and those above us. I would like to give voice to the smaller problems around campus that maybe not everyone sees.

Vondra: I would love to stay involved in the upcoming years. We have our first meeting tonight and I am looking forward to how it will go, and learning more about how this organization works.