UNK named Top 10 college in midwestern region

unk antelope issue 6

CASSIE SLOAN
sloancj@lopers.unk.edu

This year, when UNK was named a Top 10 School by the U.S. News and World’s Report 2019 Ranking: in the Top Public Regional Universities category, it fell at number 10. UNK also moved up in the ranking among all regional universities from 64th to 53rd. As a result of this ranking, the UNK Antelope Student Reporters asked students of varying ages this question: “Throughout your entire experience, long or short, at UNK, what would you say are some positives and negatives about our school?”

“Our school is a better price than most for its size, and I’m grateful that it’s not tiny,” said sophomore Carson Blecke. 

Size proved to be a recurring factor in students’ positive opinions of UNK, which will be seen in the coming students’ words. 

“[UNK is]… a good size, not too big and not too small,” said freshman, Mallory Lemburg from Grand Island. “But it is small enough that professors can get to know you and you them.”

Size has its positives and many students were grateful for the relationship they had with their professors and how much of an impact UNK has made on their lives.

“The school is easy to get around, because of the size,” said junior Claire Neil from Papillion. “I love the hammocks and friendly environment. But I really want it to look pretty again.”

“There is a sense of community here, and family,” said freshman, Tatum Vondra from Millford. “I can know a good amount of people, but if I wanted to be lost in the crowd, I could do that too.”

“I would say I’m neutral, but I really do like the connections I can have with the faculty, specifically the professors,” said sophomore Daniel Vargas. “I can talk with them about ideas I have. They make me feel like I’m someone.” 

Some felt the size was bigger than others, depending on perspective and where they were raised. 

“A positive about UNK is that we’re number 10 and not number 11,” said sophomore Emily Hoogner from Omaha, mischievously.

Certain students realize there are downsides to a smaller school as well. Construction was a big complaint among many.

“Some negatives are definitely the parking and construction,” said Lemburg. “We know they oversell parking. I also can’t wait to see the fountain.”

“I had to park so far away today!” said Vondra. “I pay $130 to park by my dorm and I can’t even do that.”