The Antelope staff 2019-20 mission statement

The Antelope Vol. 4

CHASE HARRISON
harrisonce@lopers.unk.edu

At the Antelope, we have always strived to produce reliable and timely news.This year, we yearn for more. This spring we set the goal of becoming the best student-ran newspaper in the state. We have put this in motion; we are adapting for this.

The production and distribution of Antelope news hasn’t been our staff’s foremost responsibility in years past, and still cannot be. Granted that each staff member is a student, being the resource this university needs may fall to second priority. We are currently reconstructing to improve upon this. One crucial change has been the addition of new positions, and filling these positions with those who are motivated. 

The Antelope, by medium of print and web, has made noticeable changes in ratio to news, column and entertainment pieces. While we strive to remain informational and objective, we also aspire to be a source for readers’ enjoyment. This has necessitated the introduction of new writers, photographers and other correspondents. 

The Antelope has also made changes in layout and design. Previous formatting issues have been addressed, and we look to provide more fluency and aesthetic for our readers. Under the guidance of the Antelope adviser, Rob Breeding, and our editor-in-chief, Mackenzie Krumland, editors have been able to garner a better understanding of what this newspaper has formerly lacked in regard to design and visual appeal. 

It was decided unanimously that if we want to be the best, we should look the part.

The Antelope’s social media presence has been another crucial change to how we interact with the campus and community. Fast and reliable news now accounts for Facebook and Snapchat feed; you will surely see more and more of this.

These and many other strides have been taken this fall to ensure that we are a news source that can evolve. 

As a collaborative effort that spans across multiple media platforms, we realize that we can’t afford to be anything other than exceptional.

The Antelope is an organization; it is a business. It can not and will not be the perfect newspaper, but for over 100 years it has stood as the primary news source for this campus. We have simply been adjusting to the times and to the needs of our readers. We will continue to do so.