Cunningham’s celebrates ‘homecoming’ of their own

The Antelope Vol. 4

GRACE MCDONALD
mcdonaldge@lopers.unk.edu

On July 9, the hardworking employees of Cunningham’s On The Lake continued with their 8:30 a.m. routine, receiving deliveries at their Talmadge Road location. Despite the previous series of downpours, the lake continued to sparkle faithfully beside it. 

Little did the business know, the sunrise-tinted waters would betray their thriving establishment. Within 45 minutes, the once-serene lake overflowed, until Cunningham’s On The Lake figuratively transitioned to its unfortunate state as Cunningham’s In The Lake.

The beloved bar and grill replaced damaged drywall, wood, wall coverings, floors, furniture, air conditioning, coolers and ovens. 

“I guess the silver lining was that it’s not often that you get a second chance,” said Mike Anderson, the co-owner of Cunningham’s. “There are a few things that we didn’t succeed at the first time, but did better this time around.” 

After months of perseverance, Cunningham’s On The Lake re-opened on September 20th! While UNK prepared for homecoming, Cunningham’s On The Lake experienced a different kind of homecoming back to Kearney’s community.

Customers can expect to see familiar faces with half of the previous staff returning. Several UNK students have also applied and are being trained to serve the restaurant’s famous skewers and burgers after the long wait. Anderson mentioned the generosity of UNK and the city of Kearney as a whole for offering support to flood victims. Flyers around campus still encourage Lopers to pick up applications at either of Cunningham’s locations and become a part of their energetic environment. 

When visiting the newly rebuilt Cunningham’s, I appreciated the dynamic, modernly rustic atmosphere. Accompanied by the lively bustle, the place was tied together with vintage décor, televisions, upbeat music, spacious table arrangements, and the wholesome sunset pouring through the windows. The restaurant’s vibe invites more than simply satisfying one’s hunger.

Even so, Cunningham’s On The Lake, offers an extensive and unique menu. They serve a variety of cheeseburgers, including the Big Hog and the Juicy Jameson, with their bacon-wrapped skewers as my personal favorite. Cunningham’s also takes pride in their certified, Nebraskan beef and craft Midwestern beers. Some things to look forward to include mac and cheese, new desserts, and daring skewers and burgers.

“The biggest thing is that we’re excited to be back and we’re thankful to the community being there for us over the course,” said Anderson transpose.

Because of their efforts to re-open, Cunningham’s On The Lake is one of Nebraska’s many symbols of determination, and I think that I can speak for all of Kearney by saying, “Welcome back!”