Loper volleyball team continues winning streak

loper+volleyball
loper volleyball

JD RADER
raderjd@lopers.unk.edu

The fourth-ranked UNK volleyball team traveled to Missouri this weekend and came away with two more top 15 wins on the season. The Lopers defeated 13th-ranked Central Missouri Friday night and 10th-ranked Northwest Missouri State Saturday afternoon. 

UNK has now improved to 15-0 on the season, including 6-0 in conference play. 

The win Friday afternoon over the Jennies did not come easy.  It took all of five sets and UCM outscored the Lopers in several statistical areas. Overall Central Missouri out hit UNK by 84 points, managed 11 more digs, picked up 18 more kills, and had a better hitting percentage.

However, on the heels of junior Mary Katherine Wolfe’s 14 kills and three blocks, the Lopers defeated the Jennies (18-25, 25-21, 25-22, 15-25, 15-9).

Senior Julianne Jackson also had 10 kills and two blocks and Junior Anna Squiers had nine kills and four blocks.

“We competed very hard in both games, but played more efficiently on Saturday,” head volleyball coach Rick Squiers said. “Friday was an up and down game for both teams but Saturday was a battle from start to finish with both teams playing at a high level.”

On Saturday the Lopers were able to reach victory in just four sets (25-20, 31-33, 25-20, 25-20).

Once again, Jackson, Squiers, and Wolfe lead the Lopers in kills. This time, Jackson and Squiers had career highs with 18 apiece while Wolfe had 12. 

Junior Monique Schafer and sophomore Lindsey Nottlemann had over 20 digs while Squiers had seven blocks. 

The defensive play of the Lopers was a key to victory according to Coach Squiers. 

“We showed great poise over the weekend in key situations. Our team defense and blocking were also very good,” Squiers said.

Student coach Ellie McDonnell agreed that the Lopers showed poise in winning on the road. 

“Especially in the MIAA, winning on the road is very difficult,” McDonnell said. “Every team is good and almost everywhere we go UNK is a big game for our opponents and their fans. They always are up to compete”

After a tough road trip, the Lopers will start the second half of the regular season Tuesday at 6 p.m. against a (6-9) Fort Hays State team in the Health and Sports Center. 

“We understand that every match in the league will be hard-fought. Just hoping to play our best against an improved Fort Hays team at home,” Squiers said.

On Friday Oct.11 UNK host Missouri Western State. Game time is set for 6 p.m. against the (9-5) Griffons.