Soccer scoring woes continue against Tigers

Katie Shields fights with a Fort Hayes player for possession. The Lopers lost 2-0 on Sunday

Jill-Sillina Mews
mewsj2@lopers.unk.edu

The University of Nebraska at Kearney women’s soccer team ended up goalless over the weekend. The Lopers lost 1-0 at Washburn on Friday night and 2-0 against Fort Hayes State on Sunday afternoon.

“Some people think it is really easy to score in soccer and that is really not the case,” said UNK head coach Chloe Roberts. “It is tough to get goals. None of us like losing.”

The game against Washburn was a physical battle in the first half. The Lopers led in shots on goal 5-4 but both teams could not find the back of the net. Consequently, the first half ended with no score.

After half-time, UNK controlled the game but in the 57th minute, the Ichabods kicked the ball into the top left corner of the net from 30 yards out to seal a 1-0 win against the Lopers. 

“It was a tough game. In my eyes we outplayed them and then they hit the shot from 30 yards out in the upper ninety. We need to be more clinical. It was a non-conference game but when it really counts we will be ready for them.” 

On Sunday afternoon UNK hosted the Tigers at Ron and Coral Cope Stadium. This game did not start well for the Lopers. FHSU opened up the scoring in the 20th minute. Darby Hirsch intercepted a goal kick by UNK and was able to strike for a 1-0 lead.

14 minutes later, the Tigers would find the back of the net once again. Olympia Katsouridis kicked the ball with her left foot from 10 yards out and provided FHSU with a 2-0 lead heading into the break.     

The Lopers recorded no shots on goal in the first half. 

After half-time, UNK played better defense but did not find a rhythm on offense. The Lopers could not get on the scoreboard and lost 2-0.

“We could not find the touches and passes but we still worked hard,” said freshman midfielder Carlee Legg. “The second half was a lot more intense than the first. We have to work on passing and moving and finding the goal.”

Head coach Roberts was not impressed with the offensive play as well. So far through six games, the Lopers have only found the back of the net one time.

“We need to have more going forward. We get to the final third and then we just do not have that blade in the final third to even create any chances. We need more offense and we also need to come out right at the start of the game with the final termination to win,” Roberts said.

Roberts is confident about the next games for UNK.

“There are other things in the field that we are doing well and it is all not going to come together at one, I know that. It is piece by piece and gradually we get there. These games are still non-conference so it is a good way to figure out how we can get better. I am really proud of where we are right now, individually and as a team. I know the best is yet to come,” Roberts said.

UNK is back in action this on Friday, Sept. 27 against Emporia State (4-2) at 5:30 p.m.

[wonderplugin_slider id=4 alignment=”center”]