Campus-wide construction becoming standard

The Antelope Newspaper

harrisonce@lopers.unk.edu

For reasons still unknown, multiple sites on campus have been under renovation longer than was pre-anticipated, namely that of the fountain which will lie at what is considered the heart of UNK. Neither students nor staff were notified of this coming into the fall semester.

As we now walk through what has always been an engaging campus, it is impossible not to notice construction between our day-to-day interactions. We understand that upkeep is essential, and truthfully, maneuvering around construction isn’t that burdensome. Still, unanswered questions remain in regard to why it is isn’t finished yet. We start to wonder – when will it ever be? Is this becoming an obstacle we need to simply be accustomed to? Surely, this can’t be.

This university and all its inhabitants cannot settle with fences and heavy machinery marking our path to lecture halls and our cafeteria. When you realize that all current, traditional sophomores at UNK have never occupied this campus without construction sites littering their vision of it, then you realize there is a problem. More specifically, a problem that has yet to be properly addressed.

As a student, leaving campus for the summer meant leaving behind construction we never expected to see again. Yet, upon our arrival, we were welcomed with signs on a temporary fence reading “Wishes Granted, Coming Soon to UNK” and digitalized images of a prospectively completed fountain to boot. But we already knew it was coming soon – it was supposed to be done already. 

This extension is complicated by the fact that we were not informed of any incomplete construction prior to our return. This should serve as our biggest sign that something is out of order. 

Regardless of any unknown events causing these repetitive delays, all staff, students, and incoming members of this community should have been notified – “Your home is still under construction, and this is why…” Without that communication from the top, how are residents supposed to be in the know? 

It is the duty of The Antelope to relate information to you. However, it is also the duty of the University to notify students of matters that stem directly from their efforts and their doing. In this matter and others alike, it would be comforting to know that the future holds better correspondence. 

Settling for a broken-up campus or the lack of communication regarding it are both things we shouldn’t have to adjust for. This University oversees an abundance of people, groups and projects, so slip-ups are to be expected. It is the continuance of them that can’t be.