Admit it: you could use a burger

angus burger meal with shake

Grace McDonald
mcdonaldge@lopers.unk.edu

In Nebraska, good food is cultivated by the farmers laboring to feed America, not solely in the risks associated with large corporations. Kearney’s Angus Burgers & Shakes restaurant support our community with their creative twists on classic menu items, specializing in (yes, you guessed it) burgers and shakes.

Located on 421 W. Talmadge St., the crowning jewel of this restaurant lies between two golden buns, buried beneath an assortment of ingredients and sauces. Three words—Nebraska Star Beef. The restaurant’s efforts to use locally-sourced beef, primarily from Holdrege, NE, is not only an asset to the business, but an asset to Kearney’s community and families. 

One of the general managers, Melissa Buhrow, was proud to discuss Angus’s craft beers, homemade brownies, shakes, and local ingredients.

“The most difficult thing has been the floods this year,” Buhrow mentioned, gesturing towards the large, lit-up “Burgers” sign on the right wall, amidst the down-to-earth yet classy atmosphere and decor. “We closed down July 10th and reopened August 16th after tearing out walls, removing freezers, and throwing everything out. But it was worth it, to see the customers and employees that are like family.” Even though the business was damaged by the floods, their efforts to rebuild, underline what it means to be Nebraska Strong.

Nowadays, the customer favorite has to be the Nebraska Rancher. This burger (that barely fit into my mouth) includes a thick cut of juicy bacon, barbeque mayo, crunchy onion straws, local mushrooms, and cheddar cheese that practically melts off of the Nebraska Star Beef. The melodious combination of flavors pair well together, especially when referring to texture. My only criticism is that the mountain of onions can be slightly overpowering.

If burgers are not your bread and butter, the Nebraska Star Beef Steak is a delicious alternative. It is the tenderest slice of savory heaven I have recently sunk my teeth into, and I appreciated the adequate size and thickness, which made it more possible to enjoy its entirety. I won’t forget to mention the crisply seasoned waffle fries that are approximately two inches in diameter. To compliment these items, gourmet ketchup and mustard is available for customers to use as they please, but I suggest asking for the tangy fries sauce.

Aside from the meat, the shakes are handmade concoctions with unique flavors including Coffee & Donuts, Cap’N Crunch, Toasted Marshmallow, and Peanut Buttercup. Topped with thickly whipped cream, they do not skimp on the added sweets in these shakes, though the candy will sink to the bottom if the beverage sits long enough. Something to look forward to is the seasonal Pumpkin Bar shake.

“One of the best qualities of this place is the great energy people are greeted with at the front,” claimed Buhrow’s niece and supervisor, Olivia Leach. “People comment that they drive for hours just to eat the best burgers ever, so we start to know customers personally.” 

When asked if she wanted to offer any final statements for customers to hear, Leach chuckled before cleverly adding the motto of Angus Burgers & Shakes, “Admit it. You need a burger.”