Campus Disability Services offers support, accommodations

The Antelope Newspaper

sloancj@lopers.unk.edu

Whether you are a new or returning student, there are always opportunities for a new job, work study, or membership of an organization that can help others. By joining the Collegance for Integration and Accessibility, applying to work at the Learning Lab in the Memorial Student Affairs Building, or learning about disability services, you can become more informed about how to help those with disabilities. You can also become involved with Disability Awareness Week in November. Contacting David Brandt, assistant director of Disability Services for Students, is a step in the right direction.

Disability Services at Student Affairs is for students who have a permanent disability or a temporary one, such as a broken arm or trauma. Treatment is adjusted if any temporary disability turns permanent. The goal of Disability Services is to adjust the environment for the student, such as hiring a scribe for someone who has broken their arm or having a professor change some of their material for a student with learning disabilities. The Americans with Disabilities Act states that people must be accommodated for disabilities, whether that is purchasing braille books for a blind student or making buildings accessible to those in wheelchairs. 

“There’s nothing wrong with the student,” said David Brandt. “We’re going to fix the environment they’re in so it can be conducive for them.”

Joining the Collegance for Integration is an opportunity for students to help those with disabilities on campus. This group makes sure that every building is accessible for students with varying disabilities. They make sure the sidewalks are even, classrooms have accessible content, and that automatic doors open. These issues are brought to the Office of Equity and Compliance by the Collegance for Integration to be discussed so changes can be made from there.

Disability Awareness Week, organized by these students, will be held Nov. 18-21. A guest speaker, Danelle Umstead, is projected to be brought in to discuss her life story as a three-time Olympic medalist and how she accomplished these feats, despite her blindness. Students will also be putting on a presentation about Autism. During this year’s Disability Awareness Week, it is projected that $8,000 will be spent, reflecting the importance of this week and why support and new members are needed.  

For students interested in work study or a non-work study job on campus, the Learning Lab in Memorial Student Affairs is a paying job to help students with a documented disability complete their school work. The lab is open from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and is always looking for students to apply. There are also internships available during the summer months at the lab. College of Education students are preferred, but anyone with an affinity for teaching is always welcome. Working in the lab will teach students about the office, the services provided, and laws from the Americans with Disabilities Act. 

Students are encouraged to check out the new poster, going up on Oct. 1, for Disability Awareness Week, designed by members of the Collegance for Integration.

If interested in becoming a member, working at the Learning Lab, or learning about accommodations, contact Mr. David Brandt at brandtdl@unk.edu.