Students react to ongoing construction

For the majority of the school year, the area in which used to hold the Cope Fountain has been left empty as construction stopped indefinitely.

Construction affects campus enjoyment

BY Hannah Hake

Since the beginning of the school year, this campus has been filled with incomplete construction areas. Due to this issue, many students have voiced their concerns and frustrations with the many projects going on around campus.

One student hangout spot that has been missing this school year is Cope Fountain. Each spring, students look forward to the first time the fountain will be turned on, a sure sign that winter is over and that summer is on its way. Without the fountain this year, students are finding it difficult to get excited this spring.

“I think it will be great when it’s done, but honestly it’s a bit of an eyesore and I don’t think that can be good for trying to recruit students to UNK,” said Keaton Victor Kleespies, a sophomore 7-12 education major.

The construction is a little disheartening, especially for older students who won’t be around for its completion

The fountain was removed as a part of the 2018 sewer line replacement project through the center of campus. The hope for the new fountain is to make it more of a year-round feature. Ever since late fall, however, the construction workers have left that part of campus, and the fountain location remains a muddy, fenced in blot on the landscape of UNK’s campus.

The completion of the new fountain is currently scheduled to occur in August and will end the $3 million storm sewer replacement project. For graduating students, the completion won’t be done while they are still on campus, making some feel bittersweet about the replacement timeline.

“The construction is a little disheartening, especially for older students who won’t be around for its completion,” said Asic Helberg, a senior majoring in business administration. “The fountain has been an iconic landmark and meeting place for so many students and may younger Lopers will probably associate their first year with construction. I look forward to the completion of the project.” 

While the construction on campus must take place to build a better future for UNK, students and faculty are definitely getting anxious to have these projects completed so campus can return to normal. Other construction taking place around campus includes the new STEM building, the Early Childhood Education Center, The Fine Arts building, Warner Hall, and the Campus Curves project on Highway 30, just south of campus.