Lopers talk international experience

Jordan McCormick and Jordan Delahunte listen to Ann Marie Park explain the study abroad experience. During the Study Abroad Fair, students had the opportunity to hear from others who had studied abroad and speak to foreign exchange students about their experiences.

Foreign exchange students, those who have studied abroad share information with others interested

By: Jose Perez

Throughout the years, studying in another country has been a big factor that’s captured the attention of many students at UNK. Several students take advantage of the opportunity to continue their education outside the United States. The Study Abroad Fair showcases some of the options UNK students have to do just so. It is a great chance for students to learn more about the Study Abroad Program and how they can take part in this organization.

Jamie Drozd, a senior from Genoa majoring in Family Studies, is no stranger to studying abroad through UNK. During the Study Aboard fair Drozd shared her perspective about studying abroad, along with answering many questions and concerns that students share when making this huge life decision during their undergraduate career. 

Despite having the chance to study abroad already, Drozd never imagined herself traveling while getting her ungraduated degree. 

“I never had plans to ever study abroad. After taking being part of a Christian Student Fellowship trip in Texas, I became motivated to take a lead and do more trips outside this country,” said Drozd. “Many students at UNK have a tough time deciding which country they want to go to. The Study Abroad Fair helps to inform students of the many options to choose from and which semester you should decide to travel.”

After a long time of critical thinking, Drozd’s future was settled. She made the decision on where to Study Abroad through UNK’s program. 

“I made the choice to go to Italy during my summer break after my junior year. After the experience was over it motivated me to study abroad again” said Drozd. “The Study Abroad program motivated me to travel to Poland one day. The program really does motivate you to take action on where to travel to next.”

Being able to study in a different country is a huge privilege for college students. It’s a perfect opportunity for someone to try something new and be out of their comfort zone.

It can be a huge struggle for some students who decide to Study Aboard for the first time in their life. 

“You deal a lot with homesickness while being away from your family. Before the trip to Italy, I never had the history to be many miles apart from the people I grew up with,” said Drozd. “The first few nights in a different part of the world was a struggle. Luckily, it’s easy to adjust within a few days with the help of the other students going through the same conundrum as me” Drozd said.

Despite this obstacle, it should not be a reason to avoid studying abroad. At UNK, many students who have studied in a different country encourage their fellow students to do the same. 

“If you study abroad, it really opens your eyes to a whole new world. It’s a great opportunity to learn about different cultures,” said Drozd. “It’s a good way to discover yourself as well when you go sight-seeing around the country with other students or by yourself.”