Wand keeps laughter coming

After 31 years hypnotising Lopers, Jim Wand says he has four more

By: Chase Harrison

Thursday night’s hypnotism at the Student Union marked Dr. Jim Wand’s 31st performance at UNK. After three decades touring stateside colleges, Wand looks to end his tour where it all began.

Formerly a full-time hypnotherapist, Wand strives to combine an education in counseling and psychology with an affinity for entertainment.

“People need the time to just sit back and laugh and let go of their stresses,” said Jim Wand, a trained hypnotist and accomplished performer. “If I can relieve that stress for a couple hours and let everyone have a really good time, then I’m doing my job.”

Students at UNK have accepted Jim Wand’s annual hypnotism as a hallmark campus event and welcome him back with a full crowd each year. LPAC helps make this possible by sponsoring the event and allowing accessibility for all students. Supporting the social aspect of life on campus is LPAC’s primary objective, and events like Jim Wand’s hypnotism are viewed as a way to form lasting community.

Jim Wand’s performance continues to serve as one of LPAC’s highlights every spring.

“Any LPAC event is a great opportunity for students to have something to do for free,” said Ruth Palma, a co-event programmer for LPAC. “This is Jim Wand’s 31st year and he’s always a hit, so we love bringing him back.”

Wand has performed at venues on an international scale, occasionally venturing out on cruise ships or to foreign countries for his work. Domestically, Wand has performed for colleges, high schools, and many other sizeable events in the U.S for more than thirty years. With business undertakings now located in numerous cities, Jim Wand looks to minimalize his time spent on tour. In the next few years we will witness Wand’s annual visit to UNK come to an end.

Wand looks to end his collegiate performances where they began.

“I figured since this was the first college I ever did in Nebraska, this is also going to be the last show I do in Nebraska,” said Wand. “We’re expecting this to be four years from now, but things change.”