It’s in the (grocery) bag

UNK students wins Loper Bingo

Annual Loper Bingo event lets students take home tasty favorites

By BRETT WESTFALL

Food, money and school supplies are the three most popular things on a college student’s mind. The UNK Alumni association offered two of those, food and school supplies, as prizes during their annual Loper Bingo event at Louis’ Diner at University Residence South. 

“We had about 50 to 60 students here tonight,” said Tricia Danburg, Assistant Director of Alumni Engagement. “It was a good number of students because we had around $200 of groceries that typically appeal to college students.” Danburg read off numbers for the students attending for just under an hour. 

“The questions we asked students in between games were questions that the Alumni Association tries to be about: the rich history that made UNK what it is today. Our mission is to try to connect the alumni back to the campus and keep everyone informed on a variety of things, whether they are a student or graduate” Danburg added.

“I won twice, and I got a UNK Alumni pen and a big thing of ramen noodles which is pretty cool,” said Brian Brodin, a junior majoring in Political Science. “I like what the alumni association put on because they centered questions about the university and the history when they were resetting the number balls.” 

Games differed between the usual bingo with five numbers in a row, to blackout and more unique twists. “I know many people, especially the students in Fraternity and Sorority life know about this event since it is held at Louies’ Diner and that is the usual cafeteria where those students go, including me. I am surprised that I don’t know all that much about the alumni association, but they do plenty of little events like this that I have heard that helps students. Winning prizes like ramen noodles, Spaghetti-O’s, granola bars, and other simple groceries like that is an interesting prize for college students since that is definitely what we need.”

Loper Bingo is hosted every January on or near the first week of classes.

Pile of groceries on a table during Loper Bingo