Organization raises disabilities awareness

Ester Knowlen
Tasha Schuh will speak as the keynote address for CIA’s Disabilities Awareness Week. Schuh, who was paralyzed from the chest down in a theater accident, is a nationally recognized speaker, author and cofounder of the PITCrew Movement. The PITCrew Movement aims to prevent teen suicide through through teamwork.

Collegians for Integration and Accessibility host disabilities awareness week

Braydon Conell

UNK, with the help of its many student leaders, makes strides to create a more inclusive, welcoming and friendly environment for students of any background and situation every year. One of these groups that has helped create this space in our community is the Collegians for Integration and Accessibility. Each year, the Collegians for Integration and Accessibility, along with the Academic Success Office, host Disability Awareness Week. This year’s event is the 25th anniversary of the start of these activities. 

Starting next Monday, CIA will sponsor a variety of events throughout the week (Nov. 12 through Nov. 15) to raise awareness on the current realities of people living with disabilities. Each year, CIA comes up with a theme for Disabilities Awareness Week. For their 25th anniversary, the theme that was decided on was circus and the headliner is “Greatest Show on Earth Featuring ‘Abilities’” to celebrate the abilities of all people on Earth. 

“The purpose of Disabilities Awareness Week is to educate UNK and the surrounding community about different disabilities, focusing more on the abilities of the individual,” said Allison Gray, junior elementary education from Omaha. “My favorite part of the week is the headliner.” 

The headliner is often an inspirational speaker who comes toward the end of the week. While last year’s headliner was Mark Goffeney, a talented guitarist who must play with his feet, this year’s speaker is Tasha Schuh, “a survivor, believer, and fighter” who is sure to have an impactful story to tell the UNK community. 

A native of Wisconsin, Schuh suffered from a tragic theater accident that left her paralyzed from the chest down. Not only is Tasha Schuh an inspirational speaker, but she is also an author, recipient of multiple awards, and cofounder of the PITCrew Movement. Schuh’s mission is to empower youth to live a life of resilience and hope. Schuh will speak on Thursday, Nov. 15 at 7 p.m. in the NSU Ponderosa Room.

Gray also said that CIA wants everyone to know that Disabilities Awareness Week is free and everyone is welcomed. For questions about any of the events, contact Allison Gray at grayar@lopers.unk.edu.

Schedule of Events

Monday, November 12th

“Disabilities in Distress: How accessible are the laws shaping our world?”
    2:30 pm, NSU Cedar Room

Hosted by Locke & Key Society

UNK Alumni & Current Student Panel Discussion

7:00 pm, COPH 130

Tuesday, November 13th

Luncheon

11:30 am, NSU Cedar Room

Hosted by Accessible      
    Information Managemet System

Diabetes 101

7:00 pm, COPH 130

Hosted by College Diabetes
    Network (CDN)

Wednesday, November 14th

Assistive Technology Partnership

2:30 pm, NSU Cedar Room 

Hosted by Pam Swartz Cody of
    Assistive Technology Partnership

“Who am I?”

7:00 pm, COPH 130

Alumna Catrina Maxwell-Gray

Thursday, November 15th

Disabilities and the Media

12:30 pm, NSU Cedar Room

Dr. Chrstine Sogar’s SOWK 468

Tasha Schuh, Keynote Speaker

7:00 pm, NSU Ponderosa Room