Sorority relocates after pipe bursts

AXID Water Damage Floor
The carpet of URN Pod B’s first floor has been torn up. The carpet was damaged when a pipe broke on Sept. 24.
AXID Water Damage Wall
Water damage from a leaky pipe seeps into the wall of the Alpha Xi Delta chapter house. Ceiling tiles have been removed and the pipes have been temprorarily supported by the repair crew. Members of Alpha Xi Delta are moving to other residence halls across campus while repairs are made.

University Residence North Pod B’s plumbing issues have forced more than 30 sorority members of Alpha Xi Delta to relocate into other rooms in University Residence South and Centennial Towers East residence halls.

On Sept. 24 a pipe broke in the building, causing the sorority to live separately in other residence halls for possibly the rest of the academic year.

“Our goal remains to remedy this situation and to bring our students the least disruptions to their study, social and personal lives, while maintaining the integrity and cohesiveness of their communities,” George Holman, director of the news and internal communications department of UNK, said in an interview with UNK Director of Communications Todd Gottula.

URN housed over 120 students combined among two sororities and two fraternities, until now. Much information is still to come over the assessment of the building’s plumbing damage. The only information from the pipe break damage was that it was connected to the URN chilling system.

Down the hallway of the chpater house, pieces of carpet have been torn up as well and pipes have been taped to prevent more damage. UNK is ensuring that the remaining floors do not get damaged and has already begun repairs.

The house repairs couldn’t have come at a more inconvenient time with all the construction and repairs that UNK is enduring this year the repairs are already underway for URN Pod B and the Alpha Xi Delta sisters. The house opened in 1992.