English in action with Sigma Tau Delta

Sigma Tau Delta Logo

Honors Society unites Lopers through literature

by Sydnee Bartruff
Antelope Staff

When asked to describe the atmosphere of Sigma Tau Delta, Jessica Moser responded with one word: enthusiastic.

Moser, president of the English Honors Society chapter, is in charge of running the meetings and events for students involved in the program at UNK.

“Our meetings are a lot of fun,” Moser said. “There’s always a lot of laughter and sometimes impromptu Shakespeare readings.”

The most upcoming event is the “Welcome Back Pizza Party and Literary Feast” from 4-6 p.m. on Sept. 25 at the Amphitheater. The event is designed to help recruitment for both Sigma Tau Delta and the English department as a whole.

Other events include a Carillon Release Party from 5-7 p.m. on Oct. 4 at the Alumni House. “The Carillon” is the English department’s annual student publication, Moser said. Also, on Oct. 11, members will meet at 3:30 p.m. at Thomas Hall 107 and anyone interested in joining is welcome to attend the meeting.

“There will be treats,” Moser said.

On Halloween, Sigma Tau Delta will host its annual Open Mic Night at Calico Coffee House. Whether it’s to share their own pieces or merely to listen, students at UNK “always have a lot of fun,” Moser said, emphasizing the enthusiastic aspect of the organization.

Aside from Moser, who came to Kearney from North Platte, other members who assist with running Sigma Tau Delta at UNK are faculty advisors Dr. Megan Hartman and Dr. Marguerite Tassi. Both are English professors at UNK, and they help guide the students in setting up society events.

Moser said she has made a lot of close friends from this prestigious and enthusiastic club.

Established in 1924, Sigma Tau Delta is an English honor society for high achievement in language, literature and writing. According to the Sigma Tau Delta website, the honors program continues to grow nationally and includes over 900 local chapters in the United States.

“Everyone is always so passionate about their creations that it’s impossible not to get passionate about it as well,” Moser said, about the organization and its members.