Editorial: Antelope commits to readers

Editorial: Antelope commits to readers

‘The Antelope’ joins news papers across the country defending press freedom

It is not the responsibility of the press in United States democracy to serve the state. It is the responsibility of the press to serve the people, the public and democracy. It is the responsibility of the press to hold those in power accountable.

Perhaps in Russia or North Korea or other authoritarian regimes where the press is controlled by the government, it may be acceptable for the nation’s leader to deem a critical press an “enemy of the people,” but not in the United States.

On Aug. 16, more than 300 newspapers across the nation, organized by ‘The Boston Globe,’ published editorials rebuking President Trump’s criticisms of the press. Though “The Antelope” was not publishing at that time, we wish to add our voice to this chorus.

We will defend our profession because our profession defends the public. We do not take an interest in promoting personal agendas or protecting politicians or businesses. We do, however, take an interest in informing our readers on issues essential to daily and political life. We take an interest in holding government accountable, keeping it transparent and investigating it when it is not.

“The Antelope” joins journalists across the country in adhering to a set of standards and ethics meant to promote a free and independent press. We make every effort to avoid conflicts of interest and report stories in their entirety.

So, as we begin publication of the 120th volume of “The Antelope,” we make our readers these commitments:

We will make every effort to be fair and accurate in our reporting, writing and editing. We acknowledge the human nature of our work, and we will print corrections and clarifications as necessary.

We will ask questions. We will provide context. We will be informed. We will do our research. We are committed to telling the full story.

We will actively avoid the use of anonymous sources. Though we do not expect them to be required frequently, we will not allow an aversion to anonymous sources to stop the distribution of important information to the public.

We will be transparent. We will explain reporting and editorial decisions. We will accept phone calls and respond to emails. We encourage criticism when it is justified.

We will continue to serve the interests of democracy, and we will be relentless in holding those in power accountable.

Our commitments are to our fellow Americans, our readers, neighbors and friends, not to any one politician, motive or ideology.