Lopers place second, qualify five for nationals

Wrestling team went through wide array of highs, lows at regional tournament
JD Rader 
JMC 315

The Lopers took the mat in Las Vegas, New Mexico, at New Mexico Highlands University this past weekend to compete among eight other ranked teams at t

he regional tournament.

Josh Portillo, a redshirt freshman physical education major from Clarion, Iowa, relaxes during a break in action during his finals match.

The Super Region IV/West Regional is made up of 15 teams, with the top four wrestlers at each weight class qualifying for the national tournament. 

The Lopers came in second to California Baptist by two team points, while qualifying five wrestlers to the national tournament.

UNK’s first national qualifier came at 125 lbs. Redshirt freshman Josh Portillo (Clarion, Iowa) put together a good tournament, receiving a bye then going 2-1. The loss coming in the championship match to No. 1 ranked Elijah Hale from Central Oklahoma, a transfer from Oklahoma State University. “I’m super stoked that I punched my ticket to the national tournament,” Portillo said. “With that being said, I’m going to have to avenge a couple of losses there if I want to win a national title, which is the real goal.”

Bryce Shoemaker, a senior criminal justice major from Baldwin, Kansas, looks to finish a single leg during his finals match.

UNK 133 lbs. senior Bryce Shoemaker (Baldwin, KS) used a late takedown in the third period to beat sixth ranked Nathan Cervantez of San Francisco State in the finals 3-1 to take home the title. This is the second straight year Shoemaker has qualified for the national tournament.

UNK suffered a tragic loss at 141 lbs. when sophomore Tevin Briscoe was forced to injury default out of the tournament after suffering a concussion in his first match. The Garden City, Kansas, native would have made a big impact for the Lopers at both the regional and national tournament.

Another unfortunate surprise came for the Lopers at 149 lbs. when returning national Champion Keith Surber (Sparta, Illinois) placed fifth, failing to qualify for the national tournament. The senior pinned his first two opponents before losing to No. 4 ranked Efe Osaghae of Fort Hayes State University. Surber fought back into the true fourth place match but was pinned by 11th ranked Reis Humphrey of New Mexico Highlands.

At 157 lbs. redshirt freshman Matt Malcom (Glenwood, Iowa) qualified, coming in third. Malcom’s semifinal loss came to Tyler Mies of Newman in overtime. Malcom will take a 17-5 record into the NCAA tournament.

Redshirt Freshman Talon Seitz (Hilton Head Island, South Carolina) competed for the Lopers at 165 lbs. Despite bringing in a record of 25-10 to the tournament, Seitz’s season ended short after going 1-2 Friday.

Keith Surber, a senior physical education major from Sparta, Illinois, gets a pin in his semifinal match.

Junior Zach Stodden will be returning to returning to the national tournament for the second straight year. The Broomfield, Colorado, native’s lone loss of the tournament came at the hands of No. 1 ranked Nolan Kistler of California Baptist in the semifinals.

At 184 lbs. Isaac Deaton failed to qualify for the national tournament. The junior from Valdez, Arkansas,  went 2-2 on the weekend, bringing his season record to 22-12.

Competing through a knee injury suffered at the MIAA conference tournament, Trey Schlender (Kearney) picked up three wins over the weekend but was unable to qualify when he was pinned by 6th ranked Garrett Strang of California Baptist.

The Lopers finished the tournament on high note when sophomore Jarrod Hinrichs (Geneva) defeated No. 4 ranked Caleb Cotter of Central Oklahoma in the finals to bring home a regional title. Hinrichs expected to win saying, “I competed how we planned and how we trained.”

The five national qualifiers will compete March 9 and 10 at the national tournament in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.