Celebrate Valentine’s Day with ‘Bad Love’

Creative+Commons+
Creative Commons

By Jess Moser

The Xi Beta chapter of the International English Honor Society, Sigma Tau Delta, will be hosting its annual Bad Love open mic event on Friday Feb. 16 at Calico Coffeehouse at 110 North Railroad St. East. Bad Love will be from 4-6 p.m. and is open to anyone who wants to come out and hear or share their sappy or anti-love poems. In past events, people have gotten up and sang songs or told stories. If you aren’t comfortable being up there alone, bring a few friends to read poems together or sing a duet.

“For quite a while, Sigma Tau Delta has been putting on this bad love event, so we kind of have a tradition. Somebody came up with the idea originally to do something that’s anti-romantic, that kind of goes against the grain, so Bad Love was born,” said Dr. Marguerite Tassi, one of Sigma Tau Delta’s advisors. “It’s great because you can read poems from class, your favorite poems, poems you’ve written. Even flash fiction and short stories. It’s a great way to celebrate Valentine’s Day.”

This is the first time the Bad Love event will be held at Calico Coffeehouse. In the past, the event was held at the Frank Museum.

“The event has gotten bigger over the years. I remember going over to the Frank Museum during the early days and having just eight or nine of us. But a lot more people are participating now,” said Dr. Tassi.

The Bad Love open mic offers everyone a chance to show off their creative writing skills, whether it’s poetry, short stories or even sappy love songs.

“I really liked being able to showcase my work and see everybody else’s at the Halloween open mic event,” said Mackenzie Marrow, senior English literature major from Lincoln.  “Because we don’t really get to experience everybody’s work outside of the academic setting, unless it’s in the Carillon. It’s fun. You just get to get everyone together. I’m really excited to see what happens at the Bad Love open mic.”

Even if you don’t have something you’ve written to share, you can still participate by reading poems that you’ve learned about or liked, acting out a scene from your favorite play or just showing up to enjoy a hot beverage and cheer on those behind the microphone.

“I think what would draw me to this would be the environment it’s being held in and knowing people who are participating, so you can go and support them,” said Amber Trimble, a sophomore family studies major from Fort Collins, Colorado. “I love the location; I enjoy being down on the bricks, and I think having it in a coffeehouse is a fun environment. I can enjoy drinks and support my friends. I think it’ll be a fun time listening to people share their writing and pieces they have created. It would even be a good place to sit and study while you listen to people share their work.”