Golden Torch event forges mentorships

Rachael Fangmeier
Antelope Staff

May is fast approaching. For some, this means summer jobs or internships. For others, it means graduate school or that first real job. No matter the situation, UNK’s Career Center and Academic and Career Services are working to help students connect with employers and other representatives through the biannual Career and Graduate School Fair.

“It doesn’t matter what year you are, what your major is, if you are in grad school, (the career fair) is open to all students,” said Dustin Favinger, director of the College of Business and Technology’s Career Center.

Financial planning, insurance, health care and retail are a few of the industries that will be represented at the event. However, there are areas within those industries that appeal to students such as: human resources, marketing, supply chain management, agriculture and management, Favinger said.

Although a large portion of the employers are business related, it doesn’t mean that students majoring outside of business aren’t qualified.

“We will have a wide range of employers. It could be anything from marketing to organizational and relational communication to social work to family studies to sciences, and the science field,” said Aaron Estes, associate director of Academic and Career Services.

Favinger said that many employers aren’t too concerned about major, in most cases, if the student is the right fit for the company in terms of personality, interests and characteristics.

Favinger said the goal of the career fair depends on the student and where they are in their academic career. Freshmen and sophomores may attend the career fair for the experience and to create connections, though some do seek and receive internships. However, upperclassmen are more likely to attend the event with a specific goal of setting up interviews for internships and post-graduation careers.

“We encourage lots of younger students to come (to the career fair) just to try it out and practice. That way when they are there to try to find a job or an internship, they are ready for it and more comfortable,” Estes said.

Estes estimates that there will be between 85-100 different employers and about 20 graduate school booths, in addition to military recruiters.

To view the employers who have registered for the event, visit unk.joinhandshake.com using EASI credentials.

The Career and Graduate School Fair takes place Wednesday, Feb. 7, from 12:30-3:30 p.m. in the Health and Sports Center.

Favinger suggests that students who do plan on attending dress the part, do research on the businesses they are interested in, have a goal in mind and follow-up with the employers.

“If you do that,” Favinger said, “you will stand out from the rest.”