Best friends become Galway girls

Beth Schott and Braelyn Verba, friends of over 6 years, study abraod together in Galway, Ireland.

Sydney Norris

Antelope staff

Maintaining friendships in college after six and a half years can be a difficult task. However, these two college seniors have defied the odds. Beth Schott and Braelyn Verba, both from Grand Island and elementary education and early childhood inclusive majors, had the dream since senior year of high school to study abroad in Ireland together. 

Finally, after four years, their dream became a reality. The two best friends roomed together, traveled together, attended class together and went on exotic adventures together for three months.

“After being friends for over six years, I didn’t think it would be possible for Beth and I to get any closer,” Verba said. Rather than growing apart, Schott and Verba became closer and now share the beautiful memories of Ireland together. “We had been friends for about six and a half years when we left for Ireland, so it was kind of like I was taking part of home with me,” said Schott. 

Schott and Verba stayed in Spiddal, Ireland, in little, white, countryside cottages set in the country.  Their temporary home was a five-minute walk from the ocean in Galway Bay and a 25-minute drive from Galway. Their exotic adventures consisted of eating pizza on the beach, trips to Galway for nights on the town, traveling to Lithuania and Rome and exploring the luscious, green land of Ireland.

“There are so many other great memories from our Ireland experience,” said Verba. “The trip would not have been as amazing as it was without Beth and the eight new friends that we made.”

The two besties have some advice for others considering traveling with their best friends. Know your friendship. After rooming together for several years, the two hoped that studying abroad would only bring their friendship closer. “It is such an incredible experience and you will never forget it,” Schott said.

After visiting practically all of Ireland and three other countries outside of Ireland, Both Schott and Verba agree that Galway, was their favorite place.

“We both truly loved Galway,” Schott said. “So many memories were made in Galway, and there will always be a special place in my heart for Galway.”

The two have already planned to travel back to Ireland in 2020 and plan to travel to Australia after two years of teaching.

“I was not ready to leave at the end of the semester, and would move back in a heartbeat,” said Verba.