Study abroad success stories

“My favorite memories from Peru came from the landscape: the beaches, mountains, cities, but the relationships I formed were the most unforgettable.” -MacKenzie Mathews

“Keep an open mind and don’t be afraid to travel,” -Megan Cherry

Rachel PaPez
Antelope Staff

Megan Cherry and MacKenzie Mathews are two people who have never met but have a lot in common. They are both graduates who previously studied abroad through UNK.

Cherry is student teaching at Lincoln High School, while Mathews is working as a special education para at Horizon Middle School. Both would like to further their educations with master’s degrees and have dedicated their lives to mold the minds of tomorrow.  

Cherry says studying abroad has impacted her teaching abilities. “I feel like I can relate to the exchange students better. I even taught some of them how to speak a little Czech lingo. My students love hearing about my European adventures.”

Cherry thinks Europeans live a healthier lifestyle than people here in the United States.  “I’ve learned that I can live off less than what the typical American can. I’ve downsized my wardrobe, and I try to walk more often,” she said.

Mathews helps students study the Spanish language and credits her study abroad experience with helping her understand different cultures.

"My favorite memories from Peru came from the landscape: the beaches, mountains, cities, but the relationships I formed were the most unforgettable."  -MacKenzie Mathews

“Study abroad forced me to step out of my comfort zone and do things that I normally would have never done. It also opened my eyes to all the things the world has to offer. Although I only studied in one country, the differences in culture were interesting to learn and forced me to take a step back and evaluate what is truly important in life. The people I shared my time with in Peru were truly the best!” Matthews said.

In Peru, the culture is different, according to Mathews.  “One thing I remember most is how late everything was. It was actually super awesome. I didn’t worry so much about time and felt so less stressed.”

She said here in the United States, everything seems so strict, controlled or rushed. “Relationships are also very important in South American countries. Family comes first. It’s an amazing feeling being welcomed into someone else’s family and home,” Matthews said.

Waiting to study abroad is one of Mathew’s biggest regrets from college. “I wish I would have known earlier how much studying abroad would help shape me as a person. I’m so glad I finally took the leap of faith my senior year.”

The friendships she created while abroad are important to Mathews. “My favorite memories from Peru came from the landscape: the beaches, mountains, cities, but the relationships I formed were the most unforgettable. Some of the students I traveled abroad with I had never even met.”

Mathews said from sharing experiences abroad, she grew close to those who eventually became best friends. “We left UNK not knowing each other and still spent time with each other every day. I know they will be lifelong friends. I also enjoyed meeting new people abroad. Those friends I could never forget.”

Keeping in touch through social media is nice, though Mathews would love to be able to spend time with them again. “While I would go back to Peru in a heartbeat to see my friends and family there, I have quite the bucket list, and I know there is still so much to see and experience in this world.”

Traveling may be expensive at times, but to Cherry it’s all worth it in the end.  She said there are many festivities that do not cost an arm and a leg if you keep your eyes open.  

Cherry fondly recalls her time in Germany, “We did this thing called Stoketoberfest where we paid $250 for the weekend to stay at a campsite outside of Munich. It got us transportation, seven meals, free Wi-Fi, tent with a sleeping bag and mattress, showers and all-we-could-drink beer and sangria for three days. The only thing we paid extra for was transport into Munich.”

Cherry said, “I also liked the culture the Czech Republic had to offer…Everything was super cheap.”

Mathews wants to continue traveling and hopes to visit new places. “It’s important to experience new people and their different cultures,” said Mathews, “You learn more about how the world works as a whole.”

After going overseas, Cherry believes she has overcome a fear of traveling. “It made me even more fearless than before. I’m at ease, especially in regards to traveling.”

Cherry advises: “Keep an open mind and don’t be afraid to travel.”

Currently, Cherry is focusing on writing and hopes to have one of her works published. In addition to a master’s degree, she would like to receive a doctorate in psychology. Mathews wants to work with children and families in a social work setting, as well as being a mental health counselor at a school.