Photography Club returns to campus

Kennedy Schaefer
Antelope Staff

A seven-year photography hobby not only became junior Katie Cokers’ minor, but also has now became her motivation to start a photography group on campus.

“The main goal of the group is to bring like-minded people together, who enjoy photography in all of its forms,” Coker said.
Previously a similar group was established on campus;  however, the group faded away as the majority of members graduated. Coker then decided to begin a new photography group.

Coker, a photography major from Birmingham, Alabama, said she was motivated to bring the photography group back to give students a chance to expand their interests in photography. This group will allow students to connect with others who may share the hobby of photography, regardless if their major pertains to the art department or not.

“There is already a great support on campus from the photography department,” Coker. said

The Art department offers a variety of photography courses which allow students to learn Photoshop skills and printing techniques as well as other useful classes to expand their knowledge in the photography world.  Derrick Burbul, the adviser for Coker’s new Photography Club, teaches photography classes in this building.

Coker said, “I hope to create a group that helps one another learn and grow as artists. If someone wants to learn a skill or trick, I want it to be easy to access the different kinds of knowledge we all possess and share it with as many people as possible.”

Coker hopes members learn from one another, or even decide if this hobby of photography could turn into a minor.

Currently with only a handful of members, Coker said she would like to focus on the group growing larger.

Coker plans to hold a meeting on Feb. 22 at 6 p.m. in the Fine Arts Building room 302 to see where the interest lies for each group.  In the future, there are plans to hold a photography workshop. Coker says, “Please don’t be shy about your skill level. Everyone is welcome!”