Childhood experiences spark dreams

Courtesy Bulin shows off her 4-H Clover Kid ribbon she earned from showing her goat at the Thayer County fair. Bulin continued to show in until she was 18, but mostly sheep.

Rachael Fangmeier
Antelope Staff
Sara Bulin, senior from Bruning, is majoring in comprehensive biology with a general emphasis and is in the pre-veterinary medicine program. Bulin knew she wanted to be a vet when she was 5 years old, and she followed her original plan.

Bulin credits others, who have played a large role in her life, to her success. “My high school anatomy and physiology teacher, Emily Winter, really helped me out a lot. Her husband and in-laws are veterinarians and own the vet clinic where my family takes our animals …. She helped me look at colleges to go to and even held me back after a dissection to show me some suture techniques and let me practice. …I still consider her a great influence for everything she’s done for me,” Bulin said.

She said her great-grandma was always someone who she knew believed in her. “She never questioned why I wanted to pursue becoming a vet and was always the first one to tell me that I could do it.”

In addition to having a support system, Bulin also shadowed at the vet clinic owned by Winter’s husband and in-laws. “I spent two summers job shadowing at a clinic in Fairbury, where I was able to observe many neuters and spays on cats and dogs, as well as a fair share of dental work. One surgery I watched was supposed to be a rabbit neuter, but turned into a rabbit spay when the vet discovered that the rabbit was not a male like the owner had thought! I was also able to observe surgery on a calf that had an umbilical hernia.

“I also job shadowed at a clinic here in Kearney, and now I work there as well as completing an internship there. During work, I work with mainly dogs and cats since it is mainly a small animal clinic.  I help with blood draws for the animals that are in for surgery.” Bulin said.

About that blood, she says she generally assists. “But sometimes I get to try my hand at drawing blood. I also help intubate the animals before their surgery and then recover them after.” Bulin said.

Bulin says each step along the way was part of her education. “All of my jobs, in some way or another, have helped me prepare for the future even if they didn’t involve animals at all. I have worked in a clothing store back home since I was in high school, though just on the weekends. I also worked at a sports complex working and running the concession stand the past three summers. Both of these jobs have helped me improve and hone my people skills.”

Courtesy
Bulin shows off her 4-H Clover Kid ribbon she earned from showing her goat at the Thayer County fair. Bulin continued to show in until she was 18, but mostly sheep.

In addition to the jobs Bulin says she has also had valuable courses to prepare her to be a vet. “Most of the science classes I’ve taken, I think will be beneficial. Anatomy and physiology, though about humans, will help with the skeletal system and overall body systems. Organic chemistry will be helpful in understanding the way different chemical components such as drugs will react with each other or chemical components found in the body. Genetics will also be helpful, as well as biochemistry.

“I want to work with both small and large animals. My family raises registered Dorset sheep that myself and my siblings have all shown when we were in 4-H. Now, besides sheep we have cats, dogs, ducks, and goats on our farm. In the past we have had pigs, cows, horses, chickens, turkeys, guineas and rabbits, along with the sheep, goats, dogs and cats. I have been around all kinds of animals my whole life and have loved working with them and want to continue that.” Bulin said.

“I think the most rewarding part of being a vet would be the wins that happen with the job. Regardless of whether they are big, like saving an animal after an accident, or small, like seeing puppies come in for their first set of shots,” said Bulin, “The most difficult part will be the cases where you can’t save the animal, even though you did your best to try and fix it.

“In a perfect world, I would go to vet school, graduate and become a licensed vet in the state of Nebraska. I would then work at a vet clinic for a while, and then I would open my own practice. The town where I went to high school has a vet clinic that was closed quite a few years ago, forcing the people in the town to take their pets elsewhere. It would be great to be able to open that back up for business, and [provide] another place for vet care in the area,” said Bulin.

Fun Facts:

Sara Bulin
Sara Bulin

Favorite color: Purple
    Favorite animal: Dog, specifically Dalmatian
    Favorite movie: Any one that involves animals.
    Favorite food: Spaghetti
    Favorite music genre: Country