Student Health temporarily switches to scheduled-only visits

Student+Health+intends+to+bring+walk-in+appointments+back.+Photo+by+Jenna+Heinz+%2F+Antelope+Staff+
Student Health intends to bring walk-in appointments back. Photo by Jenna Heinz / Antelope Staff

In recent weeks, classroom attendance has dwindled. Sicknesses are spreading and we all flinch anytime someone around us coughs or sneezes. With sicknesses on the rise, the need for healthcare visits has risen for many students.

Yet, a student who visits UNK Student Health right now has the chance of being turned away.

UNK Student Health has temporarily stopped allowing walk-in appointments and is now requiring all students to make an appointment ahead of time.

We see the questions and complications this may create for students.

Most of the time an illness or injury comes out of nowhere, and you need to see a doctor quickly. Walk-in availability was convenient for the unexpected and the need for urgent care. Additionally, it helped students who were unable to take themselves to a medical clinic off-campus due to the severity of their condition or not having transportation. If a student needs care but is unable to get into Student Health that same day, the process for getting medical care is now more challenging.

Part of having an on-campus health service is to have one easily available for students. These changes make it more difficult to get readily available healthcare services.

As students, we pay a health and counseling fee of $138 per semester to use these services. It’s frustrating for students if they are turned away from healthcare or unable to get an appointment when needed.

The Antelope met with Anne Lano, director of Student Health, to learn more about these changes and what students can expect.

The switch to scheduled appointments only is temporary, and Lano said they hope to have walk-ins back after spring break. Student Health is down a staff member and transitioning to a new electronic medical record process, creating the need to temporarily stop walk-in availability. 

The switch to scheduled-only appointments may make a student think they will have a hard time getting into Student Health to be seen. Lano said their availability depends on the day, but if someone calls and there is a block of free time, they will get the student that same day.

If deemed unsafe for a student to wait to see a doctor, Student Health will refer them to another health clinic in town.

While these changes may create challenges for students right now, Lopers should be patient. These changes are temporary and meant to help out in the long run. Student Health is doing its best to take care of Lopers and make the changes needed to do so.