Celebrating campus alumni helps inspire students

Diana Armstrong and family stand by the new dorm sign. Photo by Jenna Heinz / Antelope Staff

The front row at the dedication of Bess Furman Armstrong Hall was occupied by family members of the new housing’s namesake, who flew from Washington DC to help honor the woman being called a trailblazer.

Furman Armstrong is one of many UNK alumni worth receiving this sort of celebration. 

We encourage campus officials to honor more of these noteworthy figures. 

The Antelope recognizes UNK’s current efforts in highlighting some of these people.

One of the most common ways important figures from UNK’s past are represented on campus is through building names. Armstrong Hall is one of several halls dedicated to past UNK students, faculty or figures.

Students can also find statues around campus detailing the lives and impact of different figures.

The work of recent alumni is highlighted on UNK’s social media posts. One of these was Jase Hueser, a 2019 graduate who was part of the team that created the typeface for the “Wonka” movie logo.

Beyond those already represented, there are a few other noteworthy figures our team finds worth honoring.

Henry Chung De Young graduated from Nebraska State Normal School at Kearney in 1915. Shortly after graduation, he became one of the leaders of the South Korean Independence movement. He later wrote a Korean Declaration of Independence signed at the First Korean Congress in Philadelphia.

Ruth Matilda Anderson, a student in the early 20th century at what is now known as UNK, was a well-regarded female photographer. She’s known for her photography in Spain and folk culture photography. Matilda Anderson became the photography curator at the Hispanic Society of America, the leading museum and archive in New York City of Spanish culture. 

One past faculty member worth mentioning is Eva Case, who was the first dorm mom on campus. She previously worked as a principal in Red Cloud where Willa Cather, novelist on the Great Plains, went to school. Cather details Case as an inspiration to her in her writings. Campus previously had a hall named after Case that no longer stands.

Campus officials should continue to make celebratory efforts for more past campus figures.

Some figures are represented across campus, but they go unnoticed if students don’t make an effort to learn about their history. We recommend advertising these figures more to bring attention to their accomplishments.

It’s important to remember those who have left an impact on UNK and who can be looked to as inspiration for current students. 

Our team encourages students to visit the UNK Archives’ social media platforms or their collections housed in the Calvin T. Ryan Library. Students can also learn more by talking with UNK history professors.