Exploring the wizarding world of ‘Hogwarts Legacy’

klingelhoeferme@lopers.unk.eu

For those who enjoy role-playing games (RPG) like me, I pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition early access of “Hogwarts Legacy” back in January. I seriously thought I spent $80 for a game that was never going to arrive.

One month later I finally received the mystical game.

If you have an avid passion for the video game series, “Harry Potter Collection, “Hogwarts Legacy” definitely captures the essence of magic better than any other Harry Potter game. 

For those unaware of all the game options, here are a few to consider:

— “LEGO Harry Potter Collection.” 

— “Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup.” 

— “Harry Potter for Kinect.” 

“But none of these has come close to fulling that fantasy of receiving a Hogwarts admission letter that opens the door to a secret world,” said Travis Northup, a blogger for the video game website, IGN.  

I would have to agree with Northup and give this game a 4 out of 5 Lopers. 

I only took off one Loper because it took so long to get here, and there have been delayed setbacks for those who own a PlaysStation 4, Xbox One or Nintendo Switch. The release date for these systems has been pushed to May 5, 2023 or July 25, 2023 according to hogwartslegacy.com.

But now it is time to get into the game. 

“Hogwarts Legacy” is an RPG that features an open world map that practically replicates the movies and books. Players must first customize their character to the finest details and pledge their loyalty to Slytherin, Griffindor, Hulfflepuff or Ravenclaw. 

Then players can attend classes, obtain house tokens and participate in side quests. Players can also complete all kinds of mysterious challenges, befriend different characters or just travel to nearby towns and defeat trolls. There are countless diversions in this game that will consume dozens of hours. 

The spellcasting combat alone is unbelievably good. I was a little worried I might get bored doing the same mundane spells for hours at a time, but the combat is utterly captivating and challenging. 

It is more than just slinging balls of fire out of a stick!

The key is to dodge and counter enemy attacks. For example, players can bring a troll towards them with using a summoning spell called Accio. Then they can light them on fire with a Incendio spell at close range and blow them away with an explosive Bombarda spell. 

“It may not be the most impressive technical achievement and it is certainly cursed with a lack of enemy variety, but none of the game’s issues can cast a decendo charm on this triumphant visit to the Wizarding World,” said Northup.

This game is packed with everything I have ever wanted in a RPG. 

Some of the more notable highlights I enjoyed were the endless possibilities to get lost through secret passageways, flying on a broomstick in the Forbidden Forest and exploring the depths of caves lit only by the glow of a Lumos spell. 

Like some, I rarely play due to time management and because there is so much to do, one can easily get addicted. However, once summer hits I will more than likely finish the game within a week. 

Overall, I have never been more excited to continue playing “Hogwarts Legacy.”