Full Circle Bakery/Cafe welcomes customers to ‘homey’ vibe

Some of Full Circle Bakery/Cafe baked goods. Photo provided by Alexis Bernthal / Antelope Staff

bernthala@lopers.unk.edu

The Full Circle Bakery/Cafe has an odd location. It is on 2nd street, but is not part of a street mall. The cafe does not have a structure that fits the general mold of what a restaurant looks like. Instead, the cafe is inside a place that looks like a modified home. I entered the cafe through the front door.

In the early 2000s, Channel 4 preached a common message on television: “Location, location, location.” According to the TV show’s cast, location is what ultimately determines a place’s success. However, I personally oppose this claim. 

The Full Circle Bakery/Cafe is an excellent example to support my opposition. Some restaurants serve food that is of quality so high, customers will come back no matter where the restaurant is. 

Once inside, to the right, there is a table that seats four below a window. To the left, there are two more corner tables each able to set three to four people. There is also a couch and two chairs inside the cafe. 

Straight ahead there is a glass display case below the cafe’s register. Donuts, croissants, cinnamon rolls, tarts, pies and scones are showcased. All baked goods are homemade. 

There are five varieties of donuts available regularly: A classic glazed donut, a chocolate donut, a cinnamon sugar-coated donut, a s’mores donut and a “Yabba Dabba” donut, which is served with fruity pebbles cereal on top. 

As a college student, my income is not high or consistent. It excites me to see that the donuts are priced at just about $2 each. I bought a s’mores donut. The quality of the donuts at Full Circle is impressive. The donuts have a fried dough that is crispy on the outside with a bready, chewy inside. The chocolate ganache is creamy and covered in graham cracker crumbs. 

For the s’mores donut, there is a large marshmallow that sits right inside the donut’s hole. This marshmallow ensures the donut lives up to its s’mores name. Full Circle serves fresh donuts each day they operate. If customers come early enough, their donuts will still be warm. 

To comply with food allergies Full Circle makes gluten-free donuts and baked goods. However, according to a Full Circle regular, gluten-free items sell out quickly. 

Aside from Full Circle’s delightful donuts, they serve other options for breakfast. The breakfast items are titled “Breakfasty Things” on the menu. Breakfast is served from 7-11 a.m. Full breakfast dishes are pricier than baked goods. Customers have their choice of biscuits and gravy, breakfast burritos, french toast, quiche and the classic “Circle Scramble.” The prices of these items range from $9 to $10. “Breakfasty Things” come with fresh fruit on the side. 

Customers have the capability to choose between three varieties of breakfast burritos. The burritos are freshly prepared one at a time inside Full Circle’s kitchen. I chose to buy a breakfast burrito. After ordering, it took about 10 minutes for the breakfast burrito to be made and ready hot. The Breakfast Burrito is packed with potatoes, cheese and a choice of meat. The Burrito has an additional kick to it due to its added hot sauce. 

At 7:30 a.m. on a Friday, only one man was jointly working Full Circle’s cash register and kitchen. Full Circle has a wide variety of framed artwork on the walls. Soft, jazz-like music plays from a singular speaker. This, along with the limited seating and front door entryway, provides Full Circle with a very homey feel. 

I quickly became conscious that there is a level of trust between the man running Full Circle Bakery/Cafe and Kearney customers. When a Full Circle regular came in, the man running the cafe greeted the regular by name. Then, when the regular said he forgot his wallet, the man running the cafe assured the regular it was alright and that he could pay later. 

The homey atmosphere of Full Circle Bakery/Cafe is simultaneously able to produce homemade food. This combination is exciting. The good food and friendly service can eject the claim that location is all that matters.