Lauren Daigle tells religion stories in ‘Look Up Child’

Bailee Sterling

Antelope Staff

Thirteen songs with one compelling voice. In 2018, Lauren Daigle’s album, “Look Up Child,” came out and has been one of my favorites ever since. 

Lauren Daigle is a Christian songwriter, who claims that her songs are not just for people who classify as Christian, but are meant to be listened to by anyone and everyone. 

This album is underneath the Christian genre, and yet it seems so much more than that. 

My faith has been something that has grown within me. Whether I am holding onto it tightly or barely at all, this album reminds me that God is with me regardless. 

Daigle tells stories throughout each song about how this is a long journey, where she is learning about what she believes in and how that requires her to let go and lose her religion.

The listener’s favorite song on the album is “You Say,” which is about what God says about everyone on earth. 

I listen to Christian music often, and this is by far my favorite album. Daigle is genuine, authentic and vulnerable in what she sings. 

When you pair the lyrics with the power of her voice, some of her songs go unmatched. 

My favorite songs in this album are “You Say,” “Love Like this,” “Rescue” and “Losing My Religion”.

I am no music expert, but I appreciate the way these songs sound and how they resonate with me personally! 

The rest of the songs are not my favorite, but I still enjoy listening to them. 

This album is not only a favorite in my eyes, but also won Best Contemporary Christian Music Album for “Look Up Child” at the Grammys. The most loved song in the album, “You Say,” also received a Grammy award. 

The factor that I appreciate the most about this album is not the beauty of her voice, but the message she sends out to everyone and not just those that identify as “Christian”. 

I give this album a 5 out of 5 Lopers.