D.P. Dough serves up calzones late at night

Jenna Heinz

Antelope Staff

Situated at 105 West 11th St., D.P. Dough serves up any type of calzone hungry customers can dream of. This take-out restaurant provides affordable and bountiful comfort dishes all through the night, from 4 p.m. to 4 a.m. daily. 

As a freshman, I am in the process of discovering all that Kearney has to offer in terms of eating out. D.P. Dough seemed like a good place to start after it was recommended to be by an upperclassman.

DP Dough offers the option to build your own or choose from the abundant list of classics: chicken, meaty, veggie, steak or Kearney zone calzones. I decided on the End Zone calzone as it seemed similar to a Philly cheesesteak sandwich. The Cheese Stix were screaming my name so I went ahead and added an order of those to accompany my calzone.

I was unsure what to expect when opening my to-go box, but I was pleasantly surprised. The End Zone calzone was considerably sized, enough so that I could have leftovers another time. It also scored well in the taste department, as the calzone’s fresh bread and vegetables paired beautifully with the flavorful steak and mozzarella. 

As I went back and forth between dipping my Cheese Stix in the marinara sauce and garlic butter, it was hard to pick a favorite. The soft Cheese Stix were tasty on their own, but the two dipping options took the flavor to the next level. 

Despite being a take-out restaurant, D.P. Dough’s service was top tier. Not only was the wait a short 10-15 minutes and the food delicious, but I was also offered a free calzone by the cook. He had made the wrong order for a previous customer, so he gave it to me free of charge.

DP Dough takes a simple calzone and elevates it with intricate flavors and dipping sauces. It’s the perfect place for college students to stop and grab a bite. Not only are you getting a good bang for your buck, but also a delicious meal.