Wayne State professor displays pieces in Walker Art Gallery

Megumi Sakamoto and Jaedn Robertson view experimental and contemporary work. Photo provided by Kylie Schwab / Antelope Staff

putnamjb@lopers.unk.edu

Against the dark gallery “Irregular Migration” radiates splashing walls with rays of brilliance. The Walker Art Gallery displays the work of Sarah Lemmon.

Senior lecturer Matt Ziemke has made efforts to display more sculptural work since becoming the UNK gallery coordinator last year.

“I really like the fact that Sarah uses a variety of materials,” Ziemke said. “While the ideas are consistent in her work the materials are variable and that’s made for a diverse and interesting exhibition.” 

Sarah Lemmon is an associate professor and chair of the Art and Design Department at Wayne State College.  Matt Ziemke gave her a lot of creative control over the exhibition after selecting her proposal for the Walker Art Gallery. He finds her content to be a valuable chance for students to see experimental and contemporary work.

“We were able to get a really full house at her artist lecture on Monday and everyone was really excited and there were probably about 20 minutes of questions,” Ziemke said. “Then everyone went right to the gallery opening reception afterward and there was a lot of great conversation so I think students responded well to her work and her as well. I hope that they get a chance to spend some time with the work and that they enjoy some of the experimentation that’s gone on and the result that Sarah’s gotten from her work in exhibition.” 

Sierra Maginnis is one of many students who have explored the gallery.

“When I walked in there it reminded me a lot of Sandy Skoglund’s work,” Maginnis said. “I think with lights off in there is just so eerie and creepy. I think it would be cool if everyone would come in and check out this show. It brings more traffic in through the FAB and it really is a cool show and she does have a lot of ambience in the room.”

The exhibit is turning heads when students walk by. A display as creative and unique as “Irregular Migration” presents unique meaning to each perspective. Student Taylor Mues shared her thoughts on the exhibit.

“It almost seems like the coyotes are lighting the way home trying to guide their pack,” said Mues.