Lenten Season: Fast food restaurants with cheap fish options in Kearney

Long John Silvers

hammekea@lopers.unk.edu

Today is Ash Wednesday, the start of the traditional Christian season of Lent which celebrates the 40 days that Jesus Christ spent in the desert tempted by Satan. 

The season starts with those that participate marking the sign of the cross in ashes on their forheads to signify Genesis 3:19: “For you are dust, and to dust you shall return.” 

The season ends with Holy Week to signify and celebrate the last week of Jesus Christ’s life before his death on Good Friday and his Resurrection on Easter Sunday.

For many Christians, lent also includes abstaining from meat on Fridays and Ash Wednesday. As a lifelong Catholic, fish on Friday goes hand in hand with giving up an indulgence for the 40-day season. 

The Graze has great meatless options on the salad and pasta lines, but some just want the typical fish sandwich to satisfy their craving. I’ve crawled all throughout Kearney for the best fish sandwiches that fast food provides.

Best Sides: Long John Silvers

#1 Combo for $8.85

Hammer’s Twist: Top off your fish with some malt vinegar.

Long John Silvers is the Lenten standard. One can’t really go through Lent without going there at least once. They have the best sides. Go for the traditional fish ‘n chips route or choose a generous helping of coleslaw. Green beans and corn for sides are a healtier route. Don’t forget about the hush puppies!

Best Variety: Amigos/Kings Classic

Hammer’s Picks: Shrimp Lime Crema Burrito and the Crisp Crab Rangoon Burrito

As expected, Nebraska’s local competition to Burger King and Taco Bell rolled into one restaurant – much like their namesake crisp meat burritos – has multiple seafood options. Much like the out-of-the-box idea which is the Cheese Frenchee, the Crisp Crab Rangoon Burrito is perfect Lenten fare. The Nebraska staple also has tacos, burritos, enchilada meals and  the traditional fish ‘n chips basket as well.

Best for days of Fasting and Abstinence: McDonald’s

Filet ‘O Fish combo for $7.19

Hammer’s Twist: Substitute Tartar Sauce for Big Mac Sauce, pickle and dehydrated onion for The Swimming Big Mac as I call it.

With a Fish Filet that covers half of McDonald’s smallest bun offering, half a slice of American cheese and a smattering of tartar sauce on top, The Filet ‘o Fish is a good fish sandwich for those looking for a smaller meal of the day to coincide with the penitential fast of one large meal a day and two smaller meals alongside it that is practiced by some religious groups. 

Best Sandwich Overall: Burger King

BK Big Fish Combo for $8.91

Most burgers and sandwiches go WAAAAY over the top with overindulgences. All the fish sandwiches I’ve had so far are (appropriately) as plain as possible, reflecting the Lenten season. However, where is the humble pickle? Burger King’s sandwich is the only pickle-bearing sandwich in my crawl, giving them the crown.

View Comments (1)