Step Afrika! presents traditional African dance mixed with modern art

Photo by Kosuke Yoshii / Antelope Staff

robyl@lopers.unk.edu

Step Afrika! brought rhythm to campus as they took the stage at the Ponderosa Room. Presented in collaboration with Loper Programming and Activities Council and Intercultural Engagement & Leadership, the event showcased the power of percussive footwork and celebration of the tradition.

Step Afrika!’s signature performance was deeply rooted in the step tradition that encourages active audience participation. Energy filled the room, leaving the crowd on their feet.

UNK students, including Kenyon Forest, were called on stage to learn a step routine. 

“I’m not good at dancing, and I don’t dance, but the energy that they brought to campus brought me up on stage tonight,” Forest said. “That was one of the top three most fun things I’ve done since being here at UNK.”

Founded in 1994 by C. Brian Williams, Step Afrika! stands as the first professional company dedicated to the tradition of stepping. With three decades of performances and globally acclaimed arts education programs, Step Afrika! has emerged as a cultural ambassador for the United States, touring over 60 countries.

Featuring 17 full-time dancers, many connected to Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Historically Black Greek Fraternities and Sororities, Step Afrika! combines percussive dance styles, traditional African dances and contemporary art forms. The performance includes dance, incorporating songs, storytelling, humor and active audience participation.

Carolyn Zamora, co-president of LPAC expressed her enthusiasm about the performance.

“Step Afrika! really showed out, and shout out to our audience for the high energy,” Zamora said.

Step Afrika! continues to captivate audiences worldwide, promoting stepping as an educational tool and leaving a lasting impact on the communities it touches.

Photos by Kosuke Yoshii / Antelope Staff