From pumpkin carving to haunted houses, what to do this fall

trottere2@lopers.unk.edu

As the temperature begins to cool down, students can gear up for the fall season filled with many activities. From budget-friendly projects to events, here is a list of activities you can explore this season to take your mind off of classes. 

Pumpkin patches and decorating

One of the most well-known fall projects is carving or decorating pumpkins. Multiple businesses around Kearney offer pumpkins of varying sizes to purchase. However, it is fun to pick one from a local pumpkin patch. There are several patches around Kearney including 1733 Produce & Pumpkin Patch and Grandpa’s Punkinberry Patch in Holdredge. These patches offer unique experiences and products suitable for visitors of all ages. 

Whether you prefer to carve, paint or leave the pumpkin as it is, using it to decorate your home will add to the essence of the season. 

Locally sourced fresh produce

Another fall festivity to take advantage of is Apple Acres Orchard located outside of Kearney. It offers a variety of apples and mixed ciders that capture the essence of the season. Remaining open until November, it provides the opportunity to pick locally sourced fruit to enjoy.

The Kearney Area Farmers Market is also available throughout October to purchase homegrown produce. Meeting local vendors and purchasing their produce is one way to spice up the season and try something new.

Haunted attractions

For thrill-seekers, haunted themed attractions are a must-visit, including Farmer Brown’s Field of Screams located near Fort Kearney and Knee Knocker Woods located in Gibbon. Farmer Brown’s Field of Screams is a new haunted attraction that spans over 160 acres. Knee Knocker Woods also provides an experience for participants to get in the Halloween spirit.

Theaters and entertainment

For a cozy evening in, one can stream their favorite classic horror movies to get into the Halloween spirit. Local movie theaters, such as The World Theatre, Kearney Cinema 8 and Golden Ticket Cinemas, are screening new releases this fall. This includes “Saw X” and “The Exorcist: Believer.” Among the newly featured movies this season, there are also classics screening such as “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” “Hocus Pocus” and “Monster House” to cater to a variety of cinematic genres.

Involvement on campus

This season is also prime time to support fall sports. Attending Loper games is one way to join in on the excitement and show school spirit. Additionally, the UNK events page online provides other activities to take part in on campus throughout autumn.

Indulge in fall’s flavors

Visit a local coffee shop and try a new fall-themed beverage. The beloved pumpkin spice lattes and apple cider drinks are back along with other unique seasonal drinks. However, these seasonal beverages are typically available for a limited time, so savor them while they last.

For those looking to expand their baking skills, fall provides the perfect opportunity to bake treats infused with the season’s flavors. Try recipes featuring pumpkin, cinnamon and apple that will embrace the flavor palette of autumn. 

There are many other events taking place locally this fall including the Costume Crawl on the Bricks and the Midwest Music Festival.

All of these activities allow for one to try on their own, partake with friends, spend time with family or meet new people. Enjoy this fall season by getting involved in projects, activities or just simply embracing the season’s transition.