Students share their perspective on proposed budget cuts

Students, faculty and staff gather around Cope Fountain to protest proposed budget cuts. Photo by Shelby Berglund / Antelope Staff

On Sept. 25, a draft budget proposal began circulating campus outlining potential budget cuts at UNK. The draft features proposed cuts to humanities programs such as theater, music, language and more.

Students, faculty, staff and community members rallied together to voice their concerns. 

“I just want the administration to understand how important humanities are even if humanities aren’t a part of your major,” said Theresa Ascherl, a senior language and arts education 7-12 major.

Ascherl said that humanities are a big part of the college curriculum. It is often a requirement to fulfill general studies.

Students are optimistic that humanities courses will stay at UNK.

“I really hope they listen to their students and I’m hopeful that it will change,” said Emma Huggins, a freshman studio art and English major.

Following the protest, student government held a forum for students to advocate for their programs. Jon Watts, vice chancellor for business and finance, and Julie Shaffer, interim senior vice chancellor for academic affairs, were in attendance.

At the forum, students asked about how degrees would be completed, the process for eliminating programs and their concerns about the administration’s transparency. 

Read more in the Oct. 11 edition of The Antelope.