Embracing the challenges of becoming an independent adult

Courtesy+Photo
Courtesy Photo

For most students, college is the beginning of one’s journey to becoming an independent adult. Navigating a new schedule and responsibilities can seem overwhelming and like a never-ending to-do list, but it comes with growth, learning and opportunities.

As a senior in college, I am navigating the gradual process of adulthood. I am no perfect example of transitioning to an independent adult, but I would love to offer what I have learned in my journey so far.

My first advice to college students is to embrace independence. With this time, students can explore new hobbies, extracurriculars and social interactions. Along with finding one’s individuality, one must prioritize responsibilities and maintain time management to achieve goals. 

College allows for many people to come in and out of your life. It is essential to have a support network of people who can be there for you when you are struggling. We are all going through this adulting stage together; having a positive support system can make a big difference.

Although college emphasizes your academics for your future career, you will also learn practical life skills. These skills could be improving communication skills, budgeting finances or maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Embrace that you will make mistakes and it will not be easy. Becoming an adult will come with many challenges, but having resilience and learning from your mistakes will make you grow. 

Your time in college leads to many opportunities. Embrace the challenges you will face and take a moment to reflect on your personal development, whether that is academically or personally.

One of the most essential pieces of advice is not to underestimate yourself. You are capable of accomplishing more than you can think. You control your life and can do anything you put your mind to.