Lopers compete in a battle of talents for Fame and a cash prize

Laura Konz sings ‘Hopelessly Devoted to You’ by Olivia Newton-John. Photo by Shelby Berglund / Antelope Staff

ratliffl@lopers.unk.edu

FAME talent show returned to the Ponderosa room two weeks ago with 12 competing acts.  Every year it is an event for students to perform or just enjoy the night like freshman Psychology major Breanna Plihal. 

“We just got to sit and watch people do things they were good at and enjoy,” Plihal said. 

Junior Pre-Rad Tech major Ethan Ciancio was one of the primary organizers of the event. 

“This is my first year doing this,” Ciancio said. “Last year I was just an LPAC member, this year I am the co-chair with Emma Bond for the performing arts.” 

Freshman Spanish/communication dual major Emma Bonsall was the second act of the night and read a poem that she wrote titled “Today.” 

Bonsall drew her inspiration to speak in front of audiences from other poets. 

“I look up to a lot of spoken word artists and I have always wanted to do something like this, so I did a little performance in one of my classes,” Bonsall said. “This was my first big performance.” 

Having a bigger audience was a new experience for her.

“I have written poetry for about three to four years, but I haven’t gotten to perform it,” Bonsall said. 

While afraid to whiff lines, Bonsall was still able to get into a good mental space. 

“I was really scared that I would forget a line and like totally mess up but it just flowed which is good,” Bonsall said. 

Bonsall’s spoken word was one of the only non-musical acts in the show. Of the 12 talents, seven performers sang and two performers had instrumental solos. 

A group called “Lil Lopers Under The Sea” had a synchronized swimming routine, holding a long sheet of paper across the stage to mimic being in the water.

The synchronized swimming routine took first place in the group performance, while Parakh Thapa Chhetri’s rendition of Eric Clapton’s “Tears in Heaven” took first place in the individual competition.

A vocal and piano performance of “You Raise Me Up” by Mio Momosaki and Oscar Erives placed second in the group competition. 

Dom Fisher’s vocal performance of “Hound Dog” by Elvis Presley took second in the individual competition and Blake Welch’s piano performance of “Root Beer Rag” placed third. 

Since most contestants have musical acts, it is important for the people running the event to round up instruments and a quality sound system. 

“The big thing that we need to make sure we have for our students is our sound systems and any procuring, like the piano they may need,” Ciancio said. 

Other acts included Laura Konz singing “Hopelessly Devoted to You,” Marcela Marie Gonzalez Cepek performed “Titanium” on the violin and Meghan Meyer singing “A Part of Your World.” 

Grace McDonald finished the show with a comedic Zoom meeting with herself from her freshman, sophomore and junior years.

Another important step is getting all performers to know the rules and fill out all the paperwork. 

“Most of the work is getting the contestants and making sure they have their waivers signed and are well prepared for their performance,” Ciancio said. 

The show was a good reason for many students to get away from their dorms and assignments during midterms. 

“It was nice to get out of my dorm for a little bit, and go do something that wasn’t super stressful,” Plihal said.