The Big Move: University Residences North, South welcome offices

URS now houses the Communication, Social Work and Info-Technology departments. Photo by Grace McDonald / Antelope Staff

heinzj@lopers.unk.edu

With renovations in Warner Hall and the Calvin T. Ryan Library, relocations have become common across UNK. Many of these were taken on by University Residence North and South after fraternities moved to Martin Hall in December. 

This transition has made URS home to not only sorority housing, but also the Communication Department offices. 

“It’s difficult to be removed from our home (Mitchell Center),” said Nanette Hogg, chair of the UNK Department of Communication. “We were close to all the stuff that we needed over there. But, I, like other faculty, have classes in West Center and Discovery Hall. We are getting to interact with people that we don’t always get to see or visit with, and that has been a real positive.”

URS pod D currently hosts communication department offices, an open computer lab and The Antelope newsroom. Classes are split between West Center and Discovery Hall.

Despite department classes and offices being farther apart, Hogg said the move boosted faculty and student relationships.

“I am pretty sure it has brought our faculty closer together in our offices,” Hogg said. “It’s kind of condensed us, and so it’s helped. It’s helped our relationship with each other I believe, and certainly with our students. Them (the students) pitching in (with the move) has really helped.”

Offices from Information Technology Services and Social Work were also moved to URS.

Northeast of URS, URN has become a space for a wide variety of services. One of these services is the Learning Commons, which is found through the middle entrance. 

The new open space has helped unite the Learning Commons staff and made it easier for students when they walk in.

“I feel like it’s worked out really well,” said Deena Schleiger, office associate for the Learning Commons and welcome desk supervisor. “Once we’ve gotten our space setup, it’s come together, and I think it’s going to work efficiently for students. But it is a lot different, and I think our biggest hope is that students can find us and that we’re easily accessible.”

Advertising its new location to bring back regulars and catch new students has become a priority. The number of students visiting the Learning Commons is on par with what is typically seen this early in the semester. 

The less accessible location, however, brings the concern of whether these numbers will continue to rise.

“It’s a little different because in the library we have tons of students doing other stuff, so it’d be an easy walk upstairs to get help,” said Dave Colling, graduate student and math tutor. “Here, I think the students would be maybe less apt to come over just because it’s further. Hopefully, the ones that need help do come over.”

Additional offices and services found in URN include Academic Resources & Institutional Research, Assessment Office, Business Services, Budget Office, Diversity Office, Enrollment Management and Marketing, Finance Office, Human Resources, RADxUP Coordinators, Procure-to-Pay, Sponsored Programs and Research Development, Office of the University Registrar and Office of Equity and Compliance.

URN and URS are just a few of the buildings housing office relocations. The Nebraskan Student Union now hosts many administrative offices, and a portion of residence life was moved to Centennial Towers East.