It’s time to normalize recreational face mask wearing

Kosuke Yoshii / Antelope Staff Students, faculty, staff and visitors are required to wear masks in classrooms and labs.

By Alex Hammake
Antelope Staff

It appears we are now out of the woods of wearing masks. The now two-year ordeal is starting to fade to endemic stage, and much like the number of cases, the number of masks is fading too. As we (I think this time) start to write the closing paragraph in human history that seemed to keep going on and on and on, heres four reasons why I enjoyed wearing a mask off and on the past couple of years.

Not Having to Shave!

Back when we were all locked down without being able to see people, there was no need to shave. Who was going to see us? People on a screen in one of our multiple zoom calls? By that point, they had realized the same! There’s no need for the razor and the shaving cream! All the commuting I did was within my house!

Once we just went to wearing masks, that same theory applied. If nobody is going to see my face, why shave my face?

Here’s the problem. I now have zero routine for shaving my face now. I now have enough stubble now to say that I have a might have a beard in a few months. It’s also the same amount of stubble that just straight up doesn’t look good. Now the perils of whether to shave this abomination off or keep it around for a bit.

No more facial recognition!

Big Brother is ALWAYS out to “supposedly” get us. I mean, instead of passcodes and PIN numbers, the go-to method for unlocking our personal tech devices is fingerprints and facial recognition. When you would need to unlock your phone with your face, you had to pull down your mask, drawing the ire of instructors. The method of using a passcode was too time-consuming, the facemask was just trying to protect us from our civil liberties!

Easy Cop-out if you forgot someone!

We’ve all been in that awkward situation before. Someone is waving at you and saying hi, but you have drawn a blank. Either you’ve just momentarily had a brain fart and not remembering someone’s name, or you intentionally just don’t want to talk or acknowledge them. Well, if both you and the over exuberant person are wearing face masks, you could’ve easily pulled out the “since I don’t see the bottom half of your face, I am having a hard time placing you” card. 

It helped keep me warm in winter!

I’m a Kansas boy. The weather isn’t all that different between Kansas and Nebraska, but my sister mentioned that it appears that I have a “Nebraska superiority complex” since moving up to Kearney. Whatever that means.

Nebraska winters are COLD. A LOT colder than down in my home state of Kansas. And boy oh boy the heat that neck gaiter retained was a lifesaver. If I didn’t have this, my head surely would have frozen.