UNK Band Day – The Pride of the Plains showcases talent and new uniforms

brownc4@lopers.unk.edu

The Pride of the Plains Marching Band kicked off UNK’s Band Day Parade. In its 62nd year, the parade featured 27 area high school and middle school marching bands.

“The band had a great performance today, so I couldn’t be more pleased with how things started for the day with the parade,” said Brian Alber, the Pride of the Plains director. 

The UNK marching band members showcased more than their musicianship.

“I’m so happy that we get a chance to kind of publicize our new uniforms,” Alber said. “It’s been a huge goal for us over the past few years to finally get to share those with the Kearney community today and later this afternoon at the football game.”

The Pride of the Plains performed at the game and also at a showcase at Kearney High School’s Bearcat Marching Festival that evening.

Members of the band were excited to get the performing season started. It was an especially new experience for those who just entered the ensemble. 

“I thought it was a lot of fun,” said Richard Harbols, a freshman trumpet player. “I think [the uniforms] look pretty nice.”

Other bands that performed in the Band Day Parade and the Bearcat Marching Festival included Kearney High School, Kearney Catholic, Grand Island Senior High, Grand Island Central Catholic, North Platte High School, Ravenna, Gibbon, Elm Creek, Cozad, Centura and more. 

Kearney High School received the sweepstakes trophy and outstanding color guard award, and Grand Island Senior High received outstanding drum line award.