Limbach, Larson sworn in to lead student body

RYAN RANGE / ANTELOPE STAFF Grace Tolstedt, Tatum Vondra, Vice President Tristan Larson, President Noah Limbach, Ryan Woitalewicz, and Maria Garcia Quintana will serve as the student body’s executive branch from March 2021 to March 2022.

romeroj3@lopers.unk.edu

UNK Student Government held its inauguration ceremony Tuesday to swear in the new student body president Noah Limbach and vice president Tristan Larson as well as the newly elected student senators.

Chancellor Douglas Kristensen presided over the swearing-in ceremony, calling forward the senators and executive representatives in order for them to take their oath of office.

The ceremony began with a short welcome and introduction of the honored guests by Mark Barrientos.

Barrientos celebrated the previous achievements that student government was able to accomplish in the past year. Among these are new election guidelines and new graduation stoles rules, as well as advancements in Greek Life.

Then, faculty advisor Sharon Pelc gave a short speech in which she recognized the parliamentarian and the secretary. She also recognized Max Beal and Trey Janicek for their work as president and vice president in the previous term.

Beal and Janicek thanked their cabinet and other members of student government that helped and advised them during their term.

After the cabinet recognition, speaker of the senate Adam Schultis gave a short speech aknowlodging the work that the senate was able to accomplish — especially during the COVID-19 pandemic.

DJ Hardwick, the chief justice of the UNK Student Court, also thanked his fellow justices of the court for their work during the past term.

Tim Danube, a faculty advisor for student government, gave a speech during the ceremony and highlighted the work of election commissioner Laila Saadi.

Saadi facilitated the voting process for this year’s election by assuring all students were able to vote safely online. In previous years, this task was handled by UNK IT. 

Danube congratulated the student government on organizing “The Big Event,” which is a day of service meant to give back to the community. He also recognized Schultis and Hardwick for their work as speaker and chief justice.

Staff and faculty members were given awards that they received after being voted on by the student body. David Vail, a UNK history professor, was awarded the Faculty Member of the Year award for his work with students and Janet Schroder was awarded Staff Member of the Year for her contributions to UNK’s dining services.

Noah Limbach and Tristan Larson took their oath of office for president and vice president. Limbach took a separate oath to serve as student regent and represent UNK in the Board of Regents meetings.

Limbach gave his inaugural presidential address, in which he highlighted his plans as president of the student body.

The ceremony concluded with Pelc delivering her closing remarks and congratulating Limbach and Larson on their new positions. Pelc also congratulated the 14 students selected to represent their respective colleges in the Student Senate.

Chancellor Kristensen swears in the new student body representatives.
RYAN RANGE / ANTELOPE STAFF Chancellor Kristensen swears in the new student body representatives.