Five ways to unwind mid-semester without a spring break

UNK Louie Loper

This year, UNK students don’t have a spring break to look forward to, so we must find other ways to recharge between classes without a week off. To help with stress relief, students can participate in activities to help them relax. 

Schedule time to nap

With class work piling up, one’s sleep schedule may be affected while trying to get everything done. Taking a nap is a great way to relax and to recover lost sleep. A nap may seem like something insignificant, but it can be refreshing.

Treat yourself

Sometimes rewarding oneself with a delicious treat is an excellent way to unwind. Even if it means going home and getting a home cooked meal, visiting a favorite restaurant or eating a bunch of junk food. The body needs nurturing in times of stress, so healthy snacks are a good option to turn to. A good meal can soothe the soul. But treats don’t just have to be food: playing video games or reading can feel like a treat when you’re crunched for time.

Hang out with friends

Going out and being around friends is a wonderful way to enjoy time with others. This could mean sharing a meal together, doing a fun activity or sharing conversations. Being around friends can be a great way to destress, especially when talking about things that are bothersome. Sometimes venting about their coursework is exactly what students need. 

Go for a drive 

Going for a drive is a nice way to clear your head. It is also helpful to listen to favorite playlists or podcasts while driving, as long as drivers are attentive while doing so. I know it’s not the same as traveling during spring break, but on the road there are so many sights to see that students can’t experience just sitting around in a dorm room.

Enjoy the nice weather

With spring finally here we can shed our winter coats, and go outside without feeling like we’re about to freeze. Finally, people can enjoy nice walks, go fishing or lay down on the grass and look at the blue sky. Since the weather is starting to warm up, it’s easy to go out and enjoy the night sky too. Go to the countryside and bring a blanket to lay on while pointing out the different constellations.

Hopefully, these tips are helpful to sleep-deprived UNK students who are desperate for a spring break. If we focus and support each other, we can thrive in our classes and push through midterms. It’s important to understand that others are going through the same things, and together, we can make the most of the opportunities we have.