TikTok revolutionizes today as we know it

UNK Louie Loper

By ALEXIS HENRY

New fandom, millions of dollars, music contracts, celebrity relationships and private jets are just a few things TikTok has to offer. However, let us not forget about the dark, monstrous and heartbreaking side of the app as well.

With millions of users in hundreds of countries, TikTok is no doubt one of the biggest social media platforms to date. If you’re running a business targeted to ages 13 and up, you should be on or be thinking about joining TikTok.

Like all social media platforms there are a number of positives and negatives to the popular app. Users like Addison Rae, Loren Gray and the D’Amelio sisters to name a few are some of the apps most popular users who’ve gotten to experience both sides. Rae went from being a normal teenage girl to starring in ‘Keeping Up With The Kardashians’.

However, Rae’s journey to fame, like most celebrities, was not easy.

Body shaming, accusations and hurtful rumors are a few things Rae has had to endure during her time on the app. But it’s not just Rae and other popular users who have experienced hate on the app, it’s everyday users like ourselves.

TikTok has turned into another form of cyberbullying. An app that was supposed to be used for entertainment and quality comedy has turned into a viral bullying platform and a horrible space for young children.

On Aug. 31, 2019, Ronnie McNutt, a 33 year old Iraq War Veteran posted a video onto the platform in which he shot himself. The video which streamed on the popular ‘for you’ page made it to thousands of peoples screens before it was taken down. TikTok users were asked to stay off the app for a while to ensure all footage of the video was taken down.

Instances like this make many people question whether or not the app is a positive influence and if the app should still be available for download. Though this was a terrible tragedy, influencers on the app and other social media platforms were able to turn it around and make a call for national suicide awarness.

Like the above, there have also been many instances where the app has been used as a positive influence. Viral videos have made it to big news networks such as CNN and the Today Show. Certain videos have also encouraged viewers to donate money to different charities, raising more money than ever before.

There have been videos with popular influencers gifting someone with a brand new vehicle or making sure that the family on the street has a warm meal planned for the night.

While there is a dark side of the app, there’s also a much lighter experience. Many people also say that TikTok is where they get a majority of their information regarding politics, COVID-19 updates and other important issues going on around the world.

While there are definitely pros and cons to the app it’s up to each individual to decide what’s best for them. As a community on the app users should encourage each other to continue to be a positive influence and to discourage negativity and hate.