UNK unveils new fraternity, sorority housing plan

UNK NEWS The proposed housing facilities, modeled above, would replace the failing facilities in University Residences North and South.

mayln@lopers.unk.edu

Fraternity and Sorority Life students could find themselves a new home soon as UNK announced a new housing proposal.

UNK announced the new housing proposal earlier this month and presented it to the University of Nebraska Board of Regents last week. The $26.65 million dollar plan aims to provide a long-term solution to the growing issue of Fraternity and Sorority Life on-campus housing. 

The proposed plan includes the construction of a new three-story residence hall in the south portion of the existing Lot 3 near the Nebraskan Student Union. The plan also includes the renovation of Martin Hall. The new residence would measure a total of 39,000 square feet.

The proposed new residences would provide more space for Fraternity and Sorority Life. The two residences would provide up to 245 beds, with the majority being in the three-story building. By having this capacity, the new residences would be able to house all 12 Fraternity and Sorority Life chapters. Currently, only nine chapters have members living in University Residences North and South.

The new housing will replace the existing University Residences North and South that currently house UNK’s Fraternity and Sorority Life students. The current residences have experienced rising operational costs and mechanical infrastructure problems in recent years.

While the proposal offers more housing opportunities and convenience for Fraternity and Sorority Life students, it also poses a major issue: the decrease in parking spaces. The proposal calls for the conversion of Lot 6 into a green space between residences. This lot currently serves as commuter permit parking. Additionally, the three-story residence would be built on the south portion of Lot 3, which currently serves as resident and commuter permit parking that opens to the general public after 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.

UNK did not directly address the issue of parking nor the addition of parking space in the initial release.