Residential parking shifts to zone-based pricing

Parking closer to residential halls will be more expensive. Photo by Jenna Heinz / Antelope Staff

torresg@lopers.unk.edu

UNK announced significant changes to the university’s parking pass system and pricing structure. The new system is set to take effect in the upcoming academic year and is intended to address issues related to accessibility, affordability and convenience for campus parking. 

The plan includes a shift in pricing, where parking passes will be adjusted based on what parking zone students choose to park in. 

The most changes will be seen in residential areas as R1 and R2 permits will be $239 for the 2024-25 academic year, and R3 will be $40. Zone R1 includes Lots 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 and 28 and Zone R2 includes Lots 11 and 12. Zone R3 includes Lots 15, 16 and 27. 

In the 2023-24 academic year, residential permits cost $139 and decreased to $70 after Jan. 1. 

Ted Eichholz, the assistant director of the UNK police department, said the decisions were made in collaboration with student affairs and business and finance.

“We looked at what lots we currently have and tried to figure out a way to make better use of the space,” Eichholz said. “We do not have the ability to add any lots at this time.”

Eichholz also said they expect some changes to be better received than others.

“I think some will like the fact that we are not over-selling the permits, so they should, in theory, be able to find a parking spot,” Eichholz said. “I think some will dislike the price increase and the 24/7 enforcement of those parking zones.”

The announcement has received mixed reactions among the students who live off and on campus. 

Ethan Stanton, a junior majoring in industrial distribution, said the changes to the parking pass are not what he anticipated.

“I didn’t expect the new changes for the parking passes to be quite like this,” Stanton said. “I will probably end up buying one of the more expensive parking passes just so I can be closer to my dorm.”

As an off-campus student, Reagan Williams, a junior majoring in criminal justice, said she hasn’t bought a parking pass since her freshman year. 

“I live off campus and ever since my freshman year when I lived in the dorms I haven’t purchased a parking pass,” Williams said. “I think it is kind of a waste of money, especially if I can park a few blocks away and it isn’t that long of a walk.”

Returning students will be allowed to purchase their parking passes on April 15. Incoming freshmen can purchase passes on May 15. Instructions on how to purchase will be provided at New Student Enrollment.